1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

97 Limited Exhaust components - Seeking advice

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by LMG Limited, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Feb 24, 2020 at 1:37 PM
    LMG Limited

LMG Limited [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Vehicle:
    97 4RunnerLimited
    none
    Hi all,
    I have a 97Limited with about 255k miles. My mechanic recently replaced the muffler and tail pipe. I'm not happy with the bigger sound the new components are producing while driving. I like a more muffled sound.
    My mechanic said if I could find better he would put it on the vehicle and that the dealer parts are very expensive (which they are).
    I recently found a muffler and tailpipe by Walker online that may fit the bill. My mechanic says he hates Walker but didn't explain why. Any ideas?
    Bear in mind I don't know much about cars but I do know mine. I've owned this 4Runner for 21 years.
    Thanks in advance.
    Cheers

SR5 Limited likes this.
  2. Feb 24, 2020 at 2:56 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    Wow 21 years congrats. About the same here. Have you thought of just going to a exhaust shop? Most have a lifetime warranty. If it rusts out again they install a new one for free. Should last another twenty or until there’s no more gas.:)

3. Feb 24, 2020 at 5:41 PM
    LMG Limited

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Vehicle:
    97 4RunnerLimited
    none
    No not until after, my newish (soon to be x) mechanic replaced the worn out parts with what I have now. Turns out his fix isn't what I had hoped. Don't really want to pay for this twice. I guess I'm day late and a dollar short :frustrated: :sadviolin:. I hope so,.... From your lips :amen:..... Great motor.... has never failed me.

4. Feb 25, 2020 at 7:29 AM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    My '02 has the original exhaust still...

When and if it goes...I'm getting a Toyota exhaust...I have never had an exhaust last so long. No way can a Toyota exhaust be expensive when you look at price per mile.

5. Feb 25, 2020 at 9:44 AM
    LMG Limited

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Vehicle:
    97 4RunnerLimited
    none
    Hahah. Oh I’m so sorry to burst the bubble.....I wasn’t clear...This muffler and tailpipe is a third time replacement at 255K miles. Before that it was replaced at 206,240 miles and the first time it was replaced (I’m assuming from original parts) was at 182,313 miles. I bought my 4Runner used with 81,000 miles. So you are correct on the Toyota parts, 100k miles isn’t shabby.

Products Discussed in

To Top