1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'97 5-speed odd braking behavior, unsure of warpage

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by suprunner, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Aug 11, 2019 at 7:48 AM
    suprunner

suprunner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rd Gen 4Runner
    2" suspension lift, differential drop.
    Hi all,

This is my first post on this site. I started my 4Runner relationship back in '09 when I purchased an '86 1st Gen and swapped a 7MGE and solid axle into it. I have now jumped to the 3rd Gen 1997 5 speed that I now have. Has the E locker as well. It has 276k on it, with recent work/upgrades done:

New steering rack (oem)
    New tie rod ends
    2" suspension lift with Differential drop
    New BFG T/A KO2s
    Custom Steel bumper with winch.
    New/pretty new upper/lower ball joints
    New sway bar bushings/end-links

My problem is such: When slowing down to a complete stop (usually I'm in neutral), the truck seems to buck/sway a bit for the last 10-15 feet. If you were sitting as a passenger, you'd feel like I was pumping the brakes to slow down. I'm not certain that the rotors are warped, because there are no corresponding vibrations/pulses coming through the brake pedal when this happens, or ever. I've been searching through this forum and others, and the symptoms that are described during the (all-too common) 3rd Gen brake rotor warpage/failure, are not present for me. The strut mounts, and front-end steering/suspension pieces all appear to be in good shape.

I do have a problem with my drive-shaft as there is play in a U-joint (I'll be fixing/replacing that very soon as I get body-shakes driving over 65mph, and hard clunks when putting it into 1st gear). I didn't think that was related to this symptom.

If there is a post that you know of that would help clarify my issue, I'd appreciate a point in that direction. Or, if you have further insight or suggestions as to where I should start looking to diagnose, I'd appreciate it.

Take care,

Greg

2. May 18, 2020 at 9:05 PM
    shake007

shake007 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    97’ Supercharged SR5
    Check your calipers, maybe a piston seized

Products Discussed in

To Top