1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

95 Toyota 4Runner, standard transmission, clutch issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by Mickey, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Jul 27, 2021 at 1:45 PM
    Mickey

Mickey [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 Toyota 4Runner, V6, standard transmission
    None
    Hi. My clutch has been malfunctioning lately with increasing regularity. Sometimes I push in the clutch, and cannot shift. Sometimes the clutch pedal stays at the bottom, and I cannot shift. I tap it and it pops back up. Then works. I left it unused for a few days, and the pedal had dropped to the floor. I tapped it a bit, and it came up and worked fine. Could cause a dangerous driving issue. I checked the clutch cylinder on the firewall, the fluid was down about an inch. I refilled with brake fluid, but the next time I used it, it worked fine for a short while, then the pedal went to the floor, I couldn't shift, shut off the engine, tapped the pedal, it popped up and worked fine. I looked under the dash and it looks (to me) like everything looks ok. I cannot find a leak on white papers I put beneath it. From a brief on line search, I'm wondering that it may be a particulate that clogs the line (?), and it may need to be bleeded and possibly the cylinder replaced. Please comment. Thank you. Roger

2. Jul 27, 2021 at 9:37 PM
    4RFanatic

4RFanatic New Member

Member:
    Southern California (what is rust?)
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD Pro Magnetic Grey
    AlphaRex, Morimoto, Dynamic Diode, Lasfit, Rockford Fosgate, iDatalink Maestro, Metra, Kicker, Kenwood, Infinity, Dirt King
    Hi. My first 4Runner was a 1991 4WD V6 manual transmission. Bought it new way back when. Kept it for around 9 years. My clutch had similar symptoms around year 8. Took it to Toyota and was told the clutch master cylinder was leaking within itself and needed replacing. In other words, pushing the clutch in wasn’t creating enough pressure in the hydraulic system to actuate the throwout bearing. They replaced it and flushed the system and it worked fine up until I sold it the following year. I don’t know if this is what’s happening to your rig but some of your symptoms sound similar to what I was experiencing back then. You might try bleeding the system and see if you’re getting good pressure. Also, you might have air in your system too. Good luck.

3. Jul 28, 2021 at 6:50 AM
    watermelonman122

watermelonman122 New Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    1994 4Runner SR5 3.4 V6 4wd 5spd
    4RF seems to be on to something. I had my clutch pedal go to the floor and it turned out to be a leaking line. Try replacing the master cylinder, but I would also check the flexible hose part of the line that runs down the right side of the engine bay as it probably needs replacing and it's only like $20. If you do need access to the slave cylinder, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left. It creates a lot of space to sit inside the wheel well while you work on the SC.

4. Jul 29, 2021 at 7:45 AM
    D60

D60 New Member

Member:
    Sounds like a hydraulic issue to me as well. I'd suspect the clutch master cylinder. Take a real good look at all linkage pivot points under the dash, too. On other vehicles these holes often elongate from years of wear. You generally can't see it until it's apart and then what should be a round hole is an oval or the beginnings of a slot

Products Discussed in

To Top