1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

95 3vze overheating

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by Aceboogie504, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Aug 11, 2021 at 11:25 AM
    Aceboogie504

Aceboogie504 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    1995 4 runner 3.0 vze
    Just basic maintenance
    So I recently did a hg replace on this truck I followed all the instructions to a tee got it all put back together and wasn't getting any spark come to find out it was a bad ECU finally got it running I fill all my fluids and take it for a test drive it starts to overheat I pull over let it cool off then drive it back home as I pull into my drive way one of the hoses going to the coolant block blows off I put it back on assuming I had air trapped in the system so I let the truck idle for about 30 mins burping it until it starts spitting coolant out of the cap. Test drove it again and still wanting to overheat after 5 minutes of driving so next I pulled my thermostat and tested it in boiling water it worked fine put it all back together and attempted to burp it again still overheating when I try to drive it, it's idiling just fine I can hear bubbling in the top hose when I turn it off and the bottom hose that comes from the thermostat is cool. I'm not sure what else to check do y'all have any ideas I really don't it's a bad hg as I just changed it and had the heads reworked there's also no white smoke or any fluids coming out of exhaust even after it cools

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  2. Aug 11, 2021 at 11:52 AM
    watermelonman122

watermelonman122 New Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    1994 4Runner SR5 3.4 V6 4wd 5spd
    It sounds like you've ruled out the radiator and there's not any coolant leaking onto the ground. You'll probably have to keep inspecting different coolant components until one of them fixes it. Given what you've checked so far that would leave the heater, rear heater, throttle body, and oil cooler. Is there any chance it's running lean? I feel like that shouldn't make it overheat that fast. I've noticed a lot of corrosion buildup everywhere I've looked. I hope it's not that.

3. Aug 11, 2021 at 11:58 AM
    Aceboogie504

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    1995 4 runner 3.0 vze
    Just basic maintenance
    My next guess would be the radiator cap it's a brand new 3 row full aluminum radiator but with the pressure building up I'm not getting anything out of the overflow isn't the point of that to relieve pressure build up I also might change the thermostat just because it's old and maybe sticking

4. Aug 11, 2021 at 1:56 PM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    Are you sure your water pump is working properly?

5. Aug 11, 2021 at 3:43 PM
    ZARTT

ZARTT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Vehicle:
    1995 4Runner, Black,Tan Interior, 5spd.,(convert from A340) 207,000 mi., on its 3rd 3VZE.
    Ford Taurus 2 spd. elec. cooling fan, GM CS-144 alternator upgrade. Intimidator AGM battery.
    Hi:
    Don't rule out the fan clutch.
    You really can't tell if it is spinning at the proper speed just by looking at it.
    Also, treat yourself to one of those point and shoot thermometers, any excuse to buy another tool.
    It can tell you if there is a rad blockage just by shooting at various spots on the core with the engine running.
    The thermo is about $19to$25 at Shanghai Freight. It is a worthwhile investment.
    Good Luck.
    Art.

6. Aug 11, 2021 at 4:49 PM
    Aceboogie504

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    1995 4 runner 3.0 vze
    Just basic maintenance
    Well I changed the water pump and timing belt when I did the hg pretty sure it's working I'm not so sure how to tell i read I can remove the thermostat and if water is flowing thru the radiator then it's working but it's pretty primitive belt driven water pump. And looking at the fan it doesn't look like it moving too fast. I've felt all the hoses within reach and they are all getting warm except for the bottom one coming from the thermostat gonna try swapping that thermostat out tomorrow and I'll let y'all know what happens I may just remove it and see what it does first and as much as I'd like to buy a new tool I'm already in about 1000$ my wife is already wanting me to scrap it and go finance something but I know I can fix it

7. Aug 12, 2021 at 5:02 PM
    Aceboogie504

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    1995 4 runner 3.0 vze
    Just basic maintenance
    So Im pretty sure I have an exhaust leak in my cooling system I went ahead and removed the thermostat and let it run about 30 minutes and I have little air bubbles that come up every few seconds guessing the new head gasket is leaking. Thinking about ripping it back down and tightening the bolts I thought I had it right I tightened them all to 33ft lbs and the 90° in sequence twice gonna rent me an exaust test from AutoZone and see what happens

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021

Products Discussed in

To Top