1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

91 Manual not starting after running.

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by KylleMunden, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Sep 16, 2021 at 7:20 AM
    KylleMunden

KylleMunden [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Grey 4Runner
    Hey all, I’m in need of assistance.

I have a 1991 4 runner with the 3.0L engine.

About four months ago I started having issues with it starting after it ran for about 20 minutes. It wouldn’t even click when turning the key.

I’ve replaced the battery, starter relay, and finally replaced the starter after it wouldn’t start at all.

After replacing the starter it fired up after jumping it. I drove it around the city block (a good 4 mile drive) and parked it and it wouldn’t start/ turn over. No clicking at all. Then I went out this morning and it started right up.

I’m pretty new to at home mechanics and have no idea where to go from here. Any suggestions?

2. Sep 16, 2021 at 10:34 AM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Replace your battery cables.

They can rot from the inside out.

3. Sep 16, 2021 at 12:51 PM
    importman

importman The mountains are calling and I must go...

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Carolinas
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver SR5 V6 4X4
    Blacked out, Ironman 3" Nitro Gas Suspension lift, JBA High Caster upper control arms, Differential drop and sway bar relocate, Upgraded to Sport Front Cardone Calipers with Brembo Rotors and Akebono Pads, Added Spoiler, Sony XAV-AX100 with Apple Carplay, USB Jack, Backup Camera, Black TRD Pro Wheels with General Grabber ATX 265/70/17, Rear differential vent extension, Auto Dimming Mirror with Compass and Homelink, Map Light Mod, Tekonsha 90160 Trailer Brake Controller, Recoil SL1708 Sub, Sealight LED Headlamps, K&N drop in air filter, Weathertech floor mats, Homemade rear storage compartment with built in pull out table.
    Since you said it's a manual in your title, and you've already replaced the starter relay and starter, if the battery is good I'd look at the clutch switch.

Products Discussed in

To Top