1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

88 4Runner, flipped over in a blizzard in 1996, $8K in damage, and insurance fixed it!

Discussion in '1st Gen 4Runners (1984-1989)' started by PennSilverTaco, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Mar 10, 2017 at 9:00 PM
    PennSilverTaco

PennSilverTaco [OP] Encyclopedia of useless information...

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug slug
    Please see signature!
    My dad was in the Navy for 25 years (1982-2007). He joined right out of college and retired as a Captain. When he was in the Navy, we moved a lot. My dad was stationed at NAS Whidbey Island in Oak Harbor, Washington from 2000-2002...

I went to Oak Harbor Middle School for 6th and 7th grade...

The wood shop/science teacher drove a red 1988 Toyota 4Runner 5-speed that he'd bought new... He told me the story mentioned in the title when I was in 7th grade, sometime in 2001-2002, during an after-school tutoring session. The truck was at least 13 years old by the time he told me this story; but by 1st gen 4Runner standards, even in the early 2000s, this thing was in good condition. I think it only had like 120K miles on it too. The paint was a bit faded, and there was some surface rust, but it ran and drove great, the A/C (still R-12) worked, and, I mean...it was a 1988 4Runner. That should tell you everything you need to know...

It DOES NOT snow that often on Whidbey Island and the surrounding area... In either February or December of 1996, according to the teacher who owned the 4Runner, they got a record blizzard. He had to drive somewhere (probably for food or water), and he rolled the 4Runner. Something like $8,600 in damage when all was said and done... It was 8 years old by then, and the fixed it!

Products Discussed in

To Top