1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5th Gen rust prone spots?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by HondaKen, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Dec 11, 2020 at 8:13 AM
    HondaKen

HondaKen [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2021 blue SR5 Premium
    TRD pro wheels, 12volt solutions remote start, dobinsons fronts
    A few weeks ago I bought a new 2021 4runner. In theory, I want to keep this truck a good while, and like most who live in the heartland, hate rust. I think today will be the last day I'm able get under the truck and protect it. I use Amsoil HD metal protectant, and when I traded in my Tundra, after 3 full winters, it looked rust free, so....

I searched this forum and am trying to get peoples thoughts on the troubled spots to focus on. I don't do the whole thing, because Toyota does a pretty good job on coverage already. I just want to hit the spots that through wear and tear ,(road grime ,friction, splash spots, hiding spots etc) will create the bad stuff.

I'd like to think this will help others, especially the guys/gals who get under the truck and see the spots, and can help current and future owners.

Either way, I'll be under the truck this afternoon anyway to get this done.
    Thanks!

2. Dec 11, 2020 at 8:38 AM
    20AGPro

20AGPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro 4Runner
    One thing I’ve noticed with my wife’s 2018 was around the welds seems to start showing rust the first. So when I bought my 2020, I made sure the frame was clean and I took POR15 and painted over each weld. If you look at the welds, you can see spots that look like they could be a future problem. It’s all vehicles though. I did the same on my 2020 Wrangler. POR15 is some good stuff. Just wear gloves and long sleeves.

HondaKen[OP] likes this.
  3. Dec 11, 2020 at 4:06 PM
    MAXIM

MAXIM New Member

Member:
    I've negative experience with POR15 because it didn't convert rust but rather just covered it in strong I must say paint coat which later chipped of in big flakes. I use rust converter now followed with frame paint with much better results.

HondaKen[OP] and mousemeat like this.
  4. Dec 11, 2020 at 4:13 PM
    mousemeat

mousemeat New Member

Member:
    Memphis, TN.
    Vehicle:
    1997 4 runner limited
    upgraded suspension, large all terrain tires
    One of these days, maybe Toyota will finally get an handle on the rust problem...even newer vehicles, you gotta keep a eye on them..as the rust is like cancer, it spreads.....

HondaKen[OP] likes this.
  5. Dec 11, 2020 at 4:39 PM
    HondaKen

HondaKen [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2021 blue SR5 Premium
    Yea rust is brutal. Right now since I literally have no rust I figure now is the time to do it. I dropped the spare, sprayed up there, and the corners of the frame area I thought would be bad, from previous experience. I'm sure I did more than needed but thats ok. I used 2 cans. It's kind of like a clear with a tiny hint of brown yellow when it sets up. I'm a fan.

6. Dec 11, 2020 at 4:47 PM
    HondaKen

HondaKen [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2021 blue SR5 Premium
    Ugh, I guess I'll get that in the morning before work. Much appreciated!

7385 likes this.
  7. Dec 12, 2020 at 11:29 AM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    That is one of those tedious under car, overlooked, jobs that can bite you in the butt later on. It's a good excuse to get under the rig and have a look around.

8. Dec 12, 2020 at 2:28 PM
    Pgh18Gen5

Pgh18Gen5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    Tacoma trans cooler / Scangauge II monitor
    I use 3m body panel wax for cars but i had 4R undercoated at 2k miles before winter with Krown undercoating from canada, which is now in the u.s., at least in PA. Krown had great reviews and is similar to body panel wax and an older rustproofing called rustfre from years ago
    All 3 do well. I drove a 72 ford to 215k miles no rust when PA rust killed cars. Im taking my 4R and 2 other suvs i had done back for an annual refresh and check. About $150 each trip. i have 3 cans of krown that i touch up when underneath for oil changes and work but no tools for inside body panels.

9. Jan 16, 2021 at 9:25 AM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Hi all, looking for undercoating advice. My rig has 6K miles on it and fortunately has been driven in only one or maybe two situations where it would have picked up road salt etc. I'd like to get an undercoating done. Prob Fluid Film or similar. Is there something I should do to prep the vehicle beforehand? Does it matter if the undercoating is applied to surfaces that aren't pristine? Or maybe a good service place would be sure to prep it first? Thanks much.

10. Jan 16, 2021 at 9:51 AM
    Pavo

Pavo New Member

Member:
    Use wool wax or fluid film only. If it already has surface rust, take a wire brush and then hit it with rustoleum rust reformer and then fluid film or wool wax

Products Discussed in

To Top