1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5th Gen Bilstein 5100 Stock Springs Bumper Question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by heylookitsfrankie, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Aug 2, 2021 at 10:26 AM
    heylookitsfrankie

heylookitsfrankie [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey! whats up guys, I just joined. I usually just read the threads, but this time i need the help, and i know how helpful and informative and yall are.

So I bought a Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Leveling Shock Kit, 2 front 2 rear, and installing a 2" lift but keeping my stock coils. I have a Fab Fours Hidden winch w/ bull bar coming, and was wondering would I need new coils in the front to accommodate this? I wont be installing a winch, possible light bar in the future. Would I have heavy sag in the front with the kit on stock?

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  2. Aug 2, 2021 at 10:37 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Install first, and then decide if you want to upgrade the springs. The ride may not be great and handling will likely not be as great either, but you’ll be the judge. You more than likely will sag up front though with stock coils. Are you set on 2” up front? You can get a light load 2.5” spring that could settle down closer to 2” with the added weight of the bumper.
    Maxing out the preload on the 5100’s with added weight doesn’t sound like a good combo to me personally.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    heylookitsfrankie[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 2, 2021 at 11:04 AM
    heylookitsfrankie

Member:
    So, I'm trying to not have to spend the extra to replace my UCAs at this point, so the shop I'm getting my work done at said 2" should be the max I go. I figured since the Bilstein 5100s are adjustable, I'm somewhat future proof to go higher if I want. Do you think the ride will feel heavy and stiff? and pretty much counter the idea of installing the 5100s without replacing the springs by adding the bumper? Bumper weighs 80lbs.

4. Aug 2, 2021 at 11:15 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    At 80lbs, the stock coils will not take it very well and the ride will be awful and stiff. That’s a lot of weight to throw up front with nothing to compensate for it. The 5100’s get their lift by preloading the spring. The more preload (more lift), the stiffer the springs become and offer a crappy ride and handling will suck too. If you’re wanting to lift the 4runner and add additional weight, I’d suggest you don’t cheap out and buy some good springs to pair with the 5100’s to do the lifting and just keep UCA’s in mind as well.

5. Aug 2, 2021 at 11:21 AM
    heylookitsfrankie

Member:
    Great help man! Thanks for the information. Do you recommend a good set of springs for the front?

6. Aug 2, 2021 at 11:52 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    OME coils are really popular with the 5100’s. I’d suggest doing 885 springs, that’s a medium load spring. Only issue is some vendors report 3” and others 2”.

7. Aug 2, 2021 at 12:05 PM
    heylookitsfrankie

Member:
    Awesome! Thanks for the help and quick responses.

Mtbpsych[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Aug 3, 2021 at 11:05 AM
    heylookitsfrankie

Member:
  9. Aug 17, 2021 at 10:12 AM
    BobbyB

BobbyB Where the road ends, Fun begins!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2021 White TRD Off Road
    SSO Slimline Bumper Warn Evo 10s winch Bilstein 5100 shocks Dobinson Springs (front and rear) JBA Upper Control Arms Baja Designs Squadron Pro Combo lights Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Foglights RCI skids (engine, trans, Txfr and gas tank) CaliRaised sliders UpTop Overland Bravo Rack Auxbeam 6 switch panel Frac Harness with front camera Custom rear diff breather on firewall
    I've got a 2021 TRD OR and I recently upgraded the stock shocks to Bilstein 5100's and kept the stock coils. I set the front shocks for a.85 lift (2nd clip slot) and ended up with about 1.25" and I'm quite happy with the ride and how it looks. My reason for the shock change was to address the nose dive and 80's luxury car handling and now, hardly any nose dive and the handling firmed up significantly.

However, I'm now planning to add a SSO Slimline bumper, Warn Winch and aftermarket skid plates that will add about 120-140lbs on the front. Knowing that the factory springs will be inadequate for the weight gain, I've been researching what springs would work with the Bilstein 5100's and stay close to the existing stance. Where I've landed is to replace the factory front and rear coils with new Dobinsons coils. Here's what I plan to use when I add the extra weight:

Front - Dobinsons C59-302 - should give 2" lift over stock with 120-140lbs on front; 2.5" with stock weight
    Rear - Dobinsons C59-599 - should give 1" with no additional weigh

This set-up will not require new upper control arms or a differential drop so will minimize the $ required to support the weight. Also, should I wear out the Bilsteins, I can replace with Dobinsons shocks....

Mike at Exit OffRoad was a great help in sorting out this Dobinsons set-up.

Here's a "before" and "after" showing stock and with the Bilstein 5100's set at .85"..

Cheers,
    Bob

BEFORE
    Before Lift.jpg

AFTER
    After Lift.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    catfish21 and Roland like this.
  10. Aug 17, 2021 at 8:02 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota 4runner TRD off-road premium
    like Bob said, dobinsons are great, excellent product for the price. Mike will give you good advice.

11. Nov 1, 2021 at 10:28 AM
    4run2thehills

4run2thehills New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 OffRoad
    5100 Bilstein lift, BFG K02s
    Shout out to BobbyB and many others for their input on the Bilstein 5100 lift. Just install a set and had new BFG KO2 installed. Couldn't be happier!
    Before
    After5100.jpg

Roland likes this.
  12. Nov 1, 2021 at 11:02 AM
    BobbyB

BobbyB Where the road ends, Fun begins!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2021 White TRD Off Road
    SSO Slimline Bumper Warn Evo 10s winch Bilstein 5100 shocks Dobinson Springs (front and rear) JBA Upper Control Arms Baja Designs Squadron Pro Combo lights Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Foglights RCI skids (engine, trans, Txfr and gas tank) CaliRaised sliders UpTop Overland Bravo Rack Auxbeam 6 switch panel Frac Harness with front camera Custom rear diff breather on firewall
    Looking Good!!!

Cheers,
    Bob

Products Discussed in

To Top