1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 issue

Discussion in '1st Gen Builds (1984-1989)' started by NotAMechanic, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Apr 6, 2023 at 7:39 AM
    NotAMechanic

NotAMechanic [OP] New Member

Member:
    Howdy,

Hopefully someone can help me solve an issue I am having with my 1st gen 4runner.

Issue: Won't stay in 2H

Description: While turned off, the 4x4 shifter will allow free movement to all gears. However, when turned on, in neutral, and in 2H the shifter arm begins to shake and slips out and into 4H. While turned on, I can go through all of the 4x4 gears minus 2H, which is accompanied by a grinding noise (not forcing anything).

What caused this...maybe??

I recently replaced my shifter seat and bushing as they were completely destroyed. After that, more issues where made known leading me to replace the clutch master cylinder. After bleeding the clutch (perhaps not entirely, but okay) I did a test drive around the neighborhood. I cannot recall if I was 4H during my test drive but I don't think so. Anyways, after getting in the truck today and putting it in Reverse, I got a lot of grinding. Immediately I shut the truck off and put it in neutral. However, the grinding did stop until everything was done spinning. That said, I don't believe I did any true damage to the system.

Some side notes:
    The clutch releases/engages a little over half press on clutch pedal.
    The 4x4 shifter was slapped around a good bit during the part replacement so...yeah.
    The truck was parked on a very slight decline where I can park and leave the truck in neutral.

Any help would be appreciated!

BigIsland4runner likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top