1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3vze Head gasket issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by Darian528, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Feb 25, 2023 at 9:39 PM
    Darian528

Darian528 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1994 Gray 4runner 3vze
    I was pulling the heads to do some valve work and was replacing the head gaskets and other gaskets while I was there. I just got it reassembled and found that I was burning coolant on the number 6 cylinder. I followed the service manual to remove the heads by slowly removing the head bolt in the order that the manual requests. I also cleaned the heads and block of the old head gasket. I then reinstalled the Head according to the service manual by torquing the new head bolts to 33 ft-lbs and then turning 90 degrees and then turning another 90 degrees. I don't seem to be leaking coolant into any other cylinders. I am not sure if I warped my head when I was working on the valves, or if I did something wrong when installing the head gasket. If you have ever heard of something like this happening and what it could be that would be great to know.

2. Feb 25, 2023 at 10:58 PM
    Kyle11863

Kyle11863 King of the BS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Big Bear California
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 5 Speed Manual
    Doug Thorley long tube headers and lots of mud
    Could be a number of things, warped heads, kink in the gasket, defective gasket, the wrong type of gasket, pulled threads in the block, etc etc

1st question, did you clean the threads in the block for the head bolts? Did you oil the head bolts before installation? Did you reuse head bolts or replace them?

Have you also done any diagnosis (compression check) to confirm its the head gasket and not something else? I’ve seen intake manifold gaskets leak then drop the coolant straight into the engine to burn off. Granted, when this has happened it also leaked coolant all over the ground and looking at the gasket design of the 3.0 I don’t think this could happen, but if there’s one thing I’ve learned working on cars, its that anything can happen…

3. Feb 26, 2023 at 9:20 AM
    Darian528

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1994 Gray 4runner 3vze
    Thanks for the reply. I used new headgaskets from yotashop and new head bolts. I blew out the head bolt holes with brake clean and compressed air. And then I applied a light coat of oil to the threads and under the head of the bolts to reduce friction and get a good tourqe reading on it. I have done a leak down on the number 6 cycle and heard air bubbling into the cooling system and out of the radiator. So sadly I guess I am hoping for a pinched or bad head gasket. Before the valve work I did I didn't notice any coolant getting into the cylinders. I am planning on pulling that head off as soon as possible and will inspect aging for cracking of the head and block. But how would I check for a warped head.

4. Feb 26, 2023 at 10:23 AM
    Kyle11863

Kyle11863 King of the BS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Big Bear California
    Vehicle:
    Straight edge is the usual method. Just gotta get the head really clean of gasket material

what gaskets do they sell on there? Oe Toyota?

one thing I did on my last hg job was I sprayed the block, gaskets, and heads with copper gasket spray. Worked amazing for around 10k miles till the idiot I sold that 4runner to decided to go swimming and hydrolocked the engine. Gasket still wasn’t the failure point though lol

5. Feb 26, 2023 at 11:57 AM
    Darian528

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1994 Gray 4runner 3vze
    Cool I am currently working on pulling the head. I will check for cracks and then get a strait edge on it to see if it is warped. If that checks out I will get new head bolts and a gasket. The new one will be a felpro that I can get from the auto parts store and I will spray that copper gasket spray on it. Yes the head gaskets from yoda shop are the genuine OEM part.

6. Feb 26, 2023 at 12:32 PM
    Kyle11863

Kyle11863 King of the BS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Big Bear California
    Vehicle:
    Hmmm odd. Normally Toyota hg are they way to go with these after they changed the design

7. Feb 26, 2023 at 4:25 PM
    Darian528

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1994 Gray 4runner 3vze
    Well It was my fault not a big surprise but when I set the head on somehow I made the perfect scrape. I don't know how I managed it considering the head is flat, but the proof is right there. Thanks for the help and the ideas hopefully I will have it back together this week.

20230226_171049.jpg

8. Apr 14, 2024 at 3:46 PM
    whitetrooper

whitetrooper New Member

Member:
    Darlan528, your message above stated that you used new head bolts. I am curious if you used the new head bolts without thedbolt washers?

My new head bolt kit did not come wth ay washers.Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top