1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3vze '94 4runner / '93 T100 engine swapability?

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by ShantySinger2000, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Jun 21, 2019 at 3:51 PM
    ShantySinger2000

ShantySinger2000 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristoffer
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    1994 4runner 3.0 5sp.
    Hello!
    I've just joined the forum. I recently bought a rust-free '94 4runner from New Mexico as my first car, with the 3.0 engine, 5 speed, and 192k miles on it. Here's the long story, with my question at the very end:
    My Mother and I planned to drive it home to Upstate NY, but after the first day of driving up the ol' Eisenhower Interstate System, we began hearing a new sound from the engine, and decided it would be prudent to get it looked at, thinking it may be the new valves needing an adjustment. The Trinidad, Colorado. Toyota Dealer (fantastic, friendly people) determined that the valves should be adjusted, but there was also a noise from a failing main bearing, and there was no point in doing doing the former with the latter in that state. The heads, valves, etc had been done just before we bought it, but nothing was touched on the block. It's worth noting that both noises only occurred after a long test drive, so the previous owner was not at fault here at all: he'd not driven it except in 10 minute trips in the year he had it. After some discussion, we decided not to limp home in that state, and had it shipped. It should arrive here tomorrow.
    End result: getting it rebuilt seems to be a no-go around here, and I cannot justify the expense of a reman short or longblock right now. I was able to find a rusted out '93 T100 with only 76k on it, which I looked at and heard run today. The whole truck will be $600, so I'm leaning towards doing that as long as it will bolt right up.
    Finally, my question (thanks for your patience getting here:): Anyone have any experience swapping the 3.0 from a T100 to a 4Runner, or vice versa?

Many Thanks,
    ~Kristoffer
    P.S. Before anyone says it: I'll be just fine with the 3."slow" - I looked into all the swap options from the 1KZ Toyota and 1.9 VW diesels and to the 3.4 gas, and just don't want the hassle, and am sure my mechanic would appreciate keeping it stock. The 3.0 is fine for my needs, as a learning driver with a 5 mile commute.

2. Oct 13, 2019 at 5:14 PM
    atgparker

atgparker Cal Poly, ETME 1988

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White 4Runner 3.0 L
    Rebuilt Engine MLS and ARP on the heads, DT Header, 2-1/2" CARB compliant Flow-Master CAT with 2.0" Bosal CAT back Dayco 1-1/4" Spacers, SkyJacker M-Series Monotube Shocks, Ball Joint Spacers. 95-9006 K&N Air Cleaner, G-Plus Alum Radiator, ZIrgo 16" Fan, Derale Temp switch/relay
    The engines are the same 3VZ-E 3.0 L V-6. You can pull the motor from the 4Runner with or without the 5 speed gearbox in place. I have done it both ways. But I did not have the OEM cross over pipe in the vehicle so this can make things a bit tricky as the oil pan really hugs the IFS and that has to clear in order to move the engine away from the input shaft. Can't recommend on the AT.

Products Discussed in

To Top