1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd gen sensor problem

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by peytoncurtis, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Oct 28, 2019 at 1:30 PM
    peytoncurtis

peytoncurtis [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    peyton
    Vehicle:
    2002 4runner limited
    new engine cold air intake borla exhaust lifted on 33's
    I'm stuck and need help please!!! (bold letters is the problem)

I have a 2002 4runner limited 4x4.
    Things I've done "mechanically":
    - new engine (same 5vz-fe) 8 months ago
    - cold air intake 4 months ago
    - new catalytic converters 2 years ago

My check engine light has been on for about a year now and it's code p1130. It still ran flawlessly just wanted to get rid of the code since I have emissions due Sunday. So 2 nights ago I changed the bank 1 sensor 1 (or upstream) o2 sensor, with a new gasket of course. I unplugged my battery for 20ish minutes so the computer would reset and since then I've driven 250+ miles and the check engine light has not come back on so problem fixed right? NOOOO!!!!
    It starts flawlessly and drives perfect the first time hitting the gas pedal, but when I get up to the speed limit then come to a stop the next time hitting the gas it lags ... ALOT. It's as if it's skipping and tachometer is skipping. It has a hesitation every other second of staying on the gas and skips/lags extremely bad when going up any incline and i'm afraid it's damaging something. please help!!!
    So I've contacted many mechanics and they don't know what the problem is.
    Could it be because theirs a new o2 sensor and it's just now reading the cold air intake?
    I honestly don't know what to do and could really use some guidance.

2. Dec 10, 2019 at 10:29 AM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Did you verify the sensor for your VIN? Some 2002s are A/F Sensors and NOT O2 sensors. This depends on your VIN.

Did you use Toyota parts? If not, then I would. Or swap back in your old sensor, clear all codes and run it for a while. I had an A/F sensor that tripped the CEL but after I cleared it...it's been a year without an issue.

If it drives better than before, you bought the wrong sensor or junk.

3. Dec 10, 2019 at 10:36 AM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Another thing. I have had throttle lag on my '02 and it was the Throttle Body. So you might be seeing a secondary problem not related.

The '01-'02 TBs are one big integrated unit with a Pedal Sensor/TPS/IAC/Motor and more. They are NOT serviceable other than cleaning. You can try cleaning it or get another used TB off another car but it's going to be hit or miss because those will be high mileage ones too. You can get an entire TB for $625 off of a discount on-line Toyota dealer. Not cheap but a new one fixed a TON of driveability issues for me.

I would still swap back your sensor and see if it changes anything. These rigs are old and things always seem to break in threes for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top