1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3.0 Rebuild

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by NEW2FOURRUNNERS, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Jun 13, 2020 at 6:42 AM
    NEW2FOURRUNNERS

NEW2FOURRUNNERS [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 3.0 Automatic
    2" Lift With 31/10.50/17 Tires
    Going to rebuild the 3.0 in my 1995 4runner and have been looking for a rebuild kit. I am seeing prices range from $250.00 to $700.00. Does anyone have a recommendation? Are the cheaper ones junk kits? Should I stay with OEM kits?

1995 4Runner 31" tires Automatic Trans

2. Jun 13, 2020 at 10:02 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Fourtoad and aedavis87 like this.
  3. Jun 13, 2020 at 2:50 PM
    Justthemechanic

Justthemechanic New Member

Member:
    Nevada desert
    Vehicle:
    94 4Runner SR5, 5 speed, 3.0
    OME 2” lift, BudBuilt armor, RRO sliders, Spartan rear locker
    Keep in mind the rebuild kit will only provide the parts. Does the crankshaft need to be ground? Cylinders worn out and need to be bored oversize? The heads will need a valve job.
    You might be time and money ahead to look a rebuild long block rather than trying to find shops to do the machine work for you. The long block will have a lot of new parts, all of the machine work is done and they usually come with a warranty.
    Just a thought.

4. Jun 13, 2020 at 3:14 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    That is exactly the route I took with Yota1. Made things easy.

5. Jun 13, 2020 at 8:39 PM
    bthp223

bthp223 New Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    1990 4X4
    LCE Performance has some good stuff too if you haven’t looked there already.

6. Jun 14, 2020 at 6:53 AM
    NEW2FOURRUNNERS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 3.0 Automatic
    Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. I am planning on new pistons and having all the machine work done. I do have a good machine shop here in Arizona where I live. I have been looking at purchasing a short or long block but don't really know the best place to buy one and what will the shipping cost be to send the core back. Can't be cheap to ship a motor. I will check out LCE and Yota1.

Thanks again.

7. Jun 14, 2020 at 7:20 AM
    bthp223

bthp223 New Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    1990 4X4
    LCE is down in Havasu too so depending on where you are they are local Arizona to you.

8. Jun 14, 2020 at 7:34 AM
    NEW2FOURRUNNERS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 3.0 Automatic
    Gotcha. I'm in central AZ. Havasu is only about an hour half away. Thanks.

9. Jun 14, 2020 at 8:52 AM
    Linnadawg

Linnadawg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    Vehicle:
    91 4runner 3.0 auto 4wd
    I used yota shop with the Japanese kit and head studs. They pissed me off by sending the wrong size pistons and delaying my build. Didn’t seem to bother them too much. I always go oem on oil pumps and water pumps. I had to toss the stock Toyota gasket and use gasket maker for the water pump because it wouldn’t stop leaking.

10. Jun 14, 2020 at 8:25 PM
    NEW2FOURRUNNERS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 3.0 Automatic
    That's interesting. Sorry to hear you had that much trouble. Thanks for the info.

11. Jul 1, 2020 at 3:30 PM
    atgparker

atgparker Cal Poly, ETME 1988

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White 4Runner 3.0 L
    Rebuilt Engine MLS and ARP on the heads, DT Header, 2-1/2" CARB compliant Flow-Master CAT with 2.0" Bosal CAT back Dayco 1-1/4" Spacers, SkyJacker M-Series Monotube Shocks, Ball Joint Spacers. 95-9006 K&N Air Cleaner, G-Plus Alum Radiator, ZIrgo 16" Fan, Derale Temp switch/relay
    Get the engine rebuild kit with Green Lee MLS head gaskets and ARP head studs from LC-Engineering. Use Loctite 515 on all the lap joints like were the oil pump housing, water pump and rear main seal housings join the block. Don't use the paper gaskets. Also use it on the water pipe that is under the intake manifold near the water pump but is part of the blocks casting in addition to the o-ring . Use it on the oil cooler housing and the idler pulley casting that is between the cams but screws into the intake manifold. After the block is machined for MLS head gaskets (you have to request this) and the pistons are hung and ready to be installed hand lap the decks with a cast iron drill press tool rest using figure 8 motion with emery paper bonded to the tool rest with spray adhesive and lots of WD-40. The webs between the cylinders will not clean up initially until you remove enough material to undo the deflection from the fly cutter that was used to deck the block. Lap the heads as well with at least three different grits starting at 320 then 400 to 600 and/or ending with 1000 grit paper. The heads will be like a mirror and the machining marks in the block will be removed as will the depression in the surfaces between the cylinders.

Boring, decking and honing with new pistons/rings hung on the rods and the crank reground with new main bearings and big end journals was just over $900 for my engine. Make sure they don't replace the sleeves in the block which align the position of the heads when they are set onto the head gaskets. If they do you can't lap the decked surfaces on the block. When you do the CAMs use 515 for setting the bearing caps at the ends of the heads and right stuff gasket maker on those leak prone caps that seal the end of the cams at the firewall. Silicon valve cover gaskets and use Halomar gasket maker for the plenum to intake and TB to Plenum as well as at the corners were the valve cover gaskets have a sharp corner to deal with near the bearing caps. I used Halomar on the intake manifold gasket were the water passages travel from the head to the manifold as an added precaution.

One tip is when using the Loctite 515 the surfaces have to be flat and clean so that the lap joint when fitted together will allow the gasket maker to become anaerobic and this allows it to cure and seal. To get this to happen I would hand lap some of the components on the tool rest from the drill press and or use a mill bastard flat file to make sure any burs or dings around the surfaces edges were knocked down and made to be flat. Liberal amounts of CRC brake cleaner or B-12 Chemtool or an equivalent work a charm in preparing the surfaces for the sealant.

Oil pan and windage tray panel use Right-Stuff gasket maker and get a torque wrench for bicycle maintenance that will allow you to properly tighten M6 machine screws. All the bracketry for the engine accessories need to have Loctite 242 (blue) thread locker applied to the fasteners. And use a torque wrench on everything.

Fourtoad likes this.
  12. Jul 2, 2020 at 6:30 AM
    NEW2FOURRUNNERS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 3.0 Automatic
    That's great information. Thank you very much. You should do a video. I am familiar with Loctite 515, I will use it.

Thanks again for the detailed description.

Products Discussed in

To Top