1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen New Member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tnaracing14, Feb 9, 2021.

?

Is OP a pinecone?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes x2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Feb 9, 2021 at 6:17 PM
    tnaracing14

tnaracing14 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    1990 SR5
    22RE
    Hello Everyone.

I recently bought a 1990 SR5 with a freshly rebuilt 22RE, just about to crest 500 miles on the rebuilt motor. The shop that did the rebuild bored it 30 over and installed better cams. The last owner installed a crawler clutch or so I believe. 5 speed manual, she's fun but she is certainly a brick with no power. Fine for me, keeps me in check going up and down the mountains.

I'm new to both 4runners and more or less being my own mechanic. I know sportbikes in and out and can work pretty well on them, but this is going to be a bit of a trial for me. I'll likely be posting a lot in the 2nd gen section about the issues it currently has. Mostly minor stuff, like the typical rear window.

I'm hoping to do some slight modifications to it. I've read that the 22RE's are good motors so long as you keep them stock so I think I'll leave it. I do want to look at the suspension as she bounces around a lot, need to find a new exhaust as the previous owner installed a cherry bomb and that's not really my thing. I want to install some light bars and pods as well, and of course I need to get the hatch sorted out. Want to get a grille guard, clean up the lights all around and that should be it.

Anyway, looking forward to having a 4x4 to get me in and out of the mountains that'll last a little while, I hope. Feel free to give me the upfront about it, I appreciate good banter.

Will post pics when I take them.

Bob likes this.
  2. Feb 10, 2021 at 3:27 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Welcome from Wisconsin! I had a 22RE in a '86 pickup, toughest little truck ever! It had 240,000 on the odom. when I got rid of it and never gave a bit of probs, great engine, in front of a auto trans no less, that also was never a problem.

3. Feb 10, 2021 at 6:09 AM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    Welcome from Arizona! I have a project '94 4Runner that needs some TLC too!

4. Feb 10, 2021 at 12:45 PM
    tnaracing14

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    1990 SR5
    22RE
    Thanks! I'm in PNW.
    That's good to hear. My wife and I were concerned that I may have paid a bit too much for this 4runner. I have read that the 22RE will last that long with regular maintenance and little to no modifications. Don't know how the bore over is going to affect it but I'll be happy if I get at least 100k with no issues.
    I have to crack the valve cover open soon. Previous owner says to re-torque the head bolts at 500 miles and do an oil change. Sounds simple enough.

Toy4X4[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Feb 10, 2021 at 12:51 PM
    tnaracing14

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    1990 SR5
    22RE
    Thanks. Bet you're having decent climate over there right now. I'm in PNW and also this is my first time experiencing freezing temperatures. I ran it last night (even though I think I read you're not supposed to) because idk what coolant they put in it, and when I opened the reservoir the other day all I saw and and could smell was water. I had some Engine Ice laying around that I figure I may as well mix in the reservoir and top the radiator off for the very least to get something in there that won't freeze in the channels. When I stopped her off though, the radiator had the typical green color so I suppose first order of business, aside from the oil, is a coolant flush now.

How's your back door? I can't get mine to open. Also realized the key the previous owner gave me is not the key for any of the tumblers so right now I can't lock or unlock the 4runner, and I can't open the back from the outside...even though I can't get this window to open as it is...I think I may try and install a hand crank? Dunno yet.

Products Discussed in

To Top