1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'21 TRD PRO Road Trip

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Gossamer, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Mar 22, 2021 at 7:04 AM
    Gossamer

Gossamer [OP] lunarrocktrdpro1

Member:
    Middle of America
    Just got done with over 42 hours of drive time in the rig and I thought I'd share a few things...

1-the trd exhaust is equally as annoying over a long period of time as it is in town

2-at > 90 mph, the sound is actually better and almost quiet

3-I got zero chips in my windshield!

4-in 2400 miles, I saw ONE other Lunar Rock Pro (if you are the owner, it was just north of Birmingham, Al...and we both waved at one another)

5-this thing can hold a lot of stuff...including 5 people (3 kids) pretty comfortably

6-TRD suspension is lights out...I mean, it handles everything at all speeds...smooths out big bumps, comfortable to drive in for long distance...actually prefer it to the Land Cruiser I had previously

7-exhaust is f'ing annoying

8-averaged 17.1 mpg on the first half and 16.7 on the return. Return was facing a 20+ mph head wind and if you haven't noticed, the 4Runner didn't win the aerodynamic contest

IDK...usually when I take a vehicle on a long trip, I'm ready to trade it because I hate being in it...but not this time. For some reason, I was actually impressed with how it did. The engine isn't super responsive but it does the job...just a pretty blue collar rig.

One last thing...if anyone from Toyota is reading this, I'd be ok with a TSB on the exhaust needing to be replaced due to hearing loss. :cool:

werlyb23, coloradokid and T-Rex266 like this.
  2. Mar 22, 2021 at 7:08 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    Luckily there's always a rube out there willing to trade their SR5 factory exhaust for the TRD Pro's.

Quiet is where it's at...

Thatbassguy and Gossamer[OP] like this.
  3. Mar 22, 2021 at 7:52 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I hated the Gibson exhaust I put on my '03. Drone sucks! I'll be sticking with the standard exhaust on this one until it rots out, and then I'll replace it with the same stuff.

4. Mar 22, 2021 at 8:10 AM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda CRV...UGH!
    Best mod I've done to my Pro is to swap for a stock exhaust.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  5. Mar 22, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    I just did 2,800 miles in about 42 hours, and I agree.. the 4Runner is a really great, and somehow satisfying, road trip vehicle. My only gripe was the struggle to maintain 80+ MPH and pretty crappy gas mileage, but it is what it is.. compromises must be made for it's capabilities and I am used to sporty cars.

Gossamer[OP] and Thatbassguy like this.
  6. Mar 22, 2021 at 8:26 AM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda CRV...UGH!
    I just did a 3500 mile trip from Dallas to Utah and lots of driving around. Going to Utah the winds in west Texas and New Mexico were basically a headwind of 40mph sustained. I was basically driving into the southern side of that massive winter storm that dumped 3 feet of snow in Denver. I got 11.5 mpg from Amarillo to AZ. It was such a shitty and exhausting first part of the trip. While in Utah I was getting 19.5 which I was happy with. Then on the way home I was driving 90-95mph the whole was home and got around 15-16mpg. I would trade my 4R for a hybrid 4R in a heartbeat. I am slightly lifted with 285's so that doesn't help.

7. Mar 22, 2021 at 9:27 AM
    YetiMtnBkr

YetiMtnBkr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    Since I am in no hurry to purchase a new 4R and am leaning towards a Pro, I wonder if it is worth waiting for a new generation six 4R in 2023? Or whatever the new color Pro for 2022 will be? Prefer the MGM of the existing colors. Is MGM always a constant with the Pro's along with White and Black?

8. Mar 22, 2021 at 9:28 AM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda CRV...UGH!
    I will say the MGM is a scratch and chip magnet. I wish I would have been able to find a white one.

9. Mar 22, 2021 at 9:37 AM
    YetiMtnBkr

YetiMtnBkr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    I have never really been a fan of white vehicles, but I must admit a clean 4R with the black accents look great! Especially the Pro and most modified 4WD's be it a SUV or truck for that matter! It seems the White Pro 4R's are most prevalent Pros in the MD / DC suburbs market area. Cement would be my first choice!

10. Mar 22, 2021 at 9:37 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    You could always wait until there is some real information available about the next generation. At that point, you could try to pick up a leftover 5th gen, or wait for the 6th gen.

I haven't had any issues with mine. I earned every scratch. :D

Toyota's paint in general is known to scratch easily.

Gossamer[OP] likes this.
  11. Mar 22, 2021 at 9:48 AM
    YetiMtnBkr

YetiMtnBkr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    Much more of a want than a need, so time is on my side! Aside from driving my myself, wife, kids and sales reps crazy as I over analyze this pending purchase.

Don't know why Toyota only has a cement 4R in the Trail trim. Cement appears to be among the most popular colors in the Tacoma these days. Like the Desert Sand as well!

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Mar 22, 2021 at 10:10 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    It was only a PRO color until the new Trail trim came around. They try to keep those colors exclusive to keep the PROs flying off the shelf. I know some PRO customers were annoyed that Toyota decided to release some if the exclusive colors to the regular trims.

13. Mar 22, 2021 at 10:17 AM
    banxwondar

banxwondar @t4r08

Member:
    San Jose,CA
    Vehicle:
    21trdp
    -King 2.5 w/ adjusters -Westcott sliders 0 degree, DOM, no kick, plates, TIG -1.25" Spidertraxx Spacers -305/70/17 Maxxis Razr -CVC tune -20% Ceramic all around - Total Chaos UCA, cam tab, lower link skid -Black Rhino sradium 17 x 9.5 -18 -Joes side load panel -prinsu non drill rack -gobi ladder -eimkeith PCK
    Just did 400 miles roundrtip from the Bay Area to Pismo Beach. I agree with the drone being annoying, but after a while I just got used to it, and had my windows and music on anyways. Still, I am thinking of swapping this thing out for stock. I was able to avg about 16.8mpg both ways in cruise control for the majority of it at about 70-73 mph. Overall, I am very please with the truck, the addition of the Pedal Commander has made me very happy as well lol

14. Mar 22, 2021 at 10:21 AM
    YetiMtnBkr

YetiMtnBkr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR Pro
    None
    I was surprised that the Army Green color is available in the Trail as well. On the Tacoma side the Cement and Army Green are available in several trims. They discontinued the desert sand in the Tacoma - for now anyway!

15. Mar 22, 2021 at 12:45 PM
    Gossamer

Gossamer [OP] lunarrocktrdpro1

Member:
    Middle of America

i believe it's water based...and I can tell you the paint was AWFUL on my land cruiser...

16. Mar 22, 2021 at 3:49 PM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    Hey hey! the Trd Pro Exhaust is Fine! clearly you are not cranking the Music up enough because if you can still hear the exhaust you need to turn the Radio volume up another Notch :lalala:

17. Mar 22, 2021 at 4:43 PM
    banxwondar

banxwondar @t4r08

Member:
    San Jose,CA
    Vehicle:
    21trdp
    -King 2.5 w/ adjusters -Westcott sliders 0 degree, DOM, no kick, plates, TIG -1.25" Spidertraxx Spacers -305/70/17 Maxxis Razr -CVC tune -20% Ceramic all around - Total Chaos UCA, cam tab, lower link skid -Black Rhino sradium 17 x 9.5 -18 -Joes side load panel -prinsu non drill rack -gobi ladder -eimkeith PCK
    LOL. Yea, I had the volume at about 50 and all the windows, including the rear open....at that point, what exhaust?

wdsteven[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top