1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'21 ORP lift, what will give improved ride quality on rough pavement?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Hipofords, May 17, 2021.

1. May 17, 2021 at 7:00 PM
    Hipofords

Hipofords [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Just brought home my first 4Runner, a '21 ORP w/KDSS. Waited a couple months for one in my desired color, w/KDSS, and no sunroof (I'm 6'4"). This rig will see 99% of it's time on paved roads. From an appearance perspective, I've been wanting a mild lift from the start, 2 or 2.5-inch front and probably 1-inch rear, with 285/70-17s.

I've spent the last 10 years driving a couple of 1/2 ton Suburbans and my wife's '06 Volvo XC90. In the Toyota, the same poorly maintained rough pavement I drive regularly, which was swallowed up well in my other rigs, makes the 4Runner feel unsettled. It's particularly bad in a sweeping turn at 30-40 mph. When the 4Runner hits these bumps it feels like it's skipping or bouncing across the pavement a bit. So, is there an aftermarket setup that would give the 4Runner some extra composure in this on-road environment? I've read a ton of threads, and after reading them I'm thinking I may need to step up beyond an entry level lift like the Bilstein or Eibach I'd initially figured on. I don't want to spend thousands chasing imperceptible gains, and yet am hopeful some of the more sophisticated spring/shock setups might help considerably. Appreciate your input.

Trail Runnah and Thatbassguy like this.
  2. May 17, 2021 at 7:04 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Getting some progressive valved shocks sounds like is what you’re looking for. They get softer as the ride gets more rough which should provide a more plush feel and eliminate the bumps you can feel.

Toy4X4 and Thatbassguy like this.
  3. May 17, 2021 at 7:09 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Welcome to the forum.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  4. May 17, 2021 at 7:47 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    My '19 ORP with KDSS and Bilstein 6112/5100 setup is well composed on rough pavement, but you feel every bump. Something like King, Fox, or Radflo should soak up the bumps very well. There are a few other good options as well.

A&P, Toy4X4, Mtbpsych and 1 other person like this.
  5. May 17, 2021 at 8:40 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I also have a Volvo, an 07 xc70. Man I wish my 4R rode that nice! I hit speedbumps at 25 in that car and barely feel them, haha, and it'll go WAY faster than prudent on dirt roads.

I'm interested in what you find out, every time I research suspension with the same needs as you, I find the option I'm looking at is going to be stiffer than stock.

It's not cheap, but from what I've read the Fox suspension setup used on the TRD PRO may be the way to go. It's not really I lift though, only maybe 1" in the front.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  6. May 17, 2021 at 9:27 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I don't think any suspension setup would run as good as a new Volvo.

No TRD Pro suspension is not comfy as people claim. And I don't say it's bad either, it's in the middle compared to an entry level suspension and an expensive adjustable suspension. Me personally won't spend money for it. On another tread when I shared my TRD Pro measurements it's 0.7 in lift on front compared to a stock SR5.

According to my 4x4shop Toytec Denver ELKA 2.5 DC is the most comfortable out there but still not comfy as a luxury suv. Yes, it's a big improvement especially on gravel or rough roads but not comfy ride on road as a unibody suv.

According to Toytec Denver, King suspension are not comfy as ELKA but a good suspension setup if you want to drive at higher speeds on rough roads.

I'm keeping my eyes on OME BP-51 as my next lift for my Limited as they seems to have a very soft setting. I need absolute best on road comfort with the limited. Not sure, I need to search more before I spend my money.

As for the 2021 I'm still doing my research as I'm little concerned about lifting as it might affect Toyota Safety Sense - P according one YouTuber who claim to work at Toyota.

Just shared my experience and thoughts. This by no means expert advice.

Thatbassguy and Toy4X4 like this.
  7. May 18, 2021 at 8:55 AM
    Hipofords

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Appreciate the input from everyone. I'm not expecting to find a suspension that will make my 4R ride like a Volvo or luxury SUV, just hoping to find something that yields a noticeable improvement. My reference to the Suburbans and old Volvo is just to note that the roads near me don't upset everything.

koukimonster and Thatbassguy like this.
  8. May 18, 2021 at 9:32 AM
    edgesalon

edgesalon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Te
    Vehicle:
    18 FunRunner :-)
    the best advice i can give you is to go for ride in some ones 4RNR with the setup that you think you like to see what it feels like before spending the $$$ and finding out you don't like it. good luck

Oldtoyotaguy, nimby and Thatbassguy like this.
  9. May 18, 2021 at 10:45 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    I've been saving up for a while to possibly go with the Elka setup @Oldtoyotaguy runs on his rig, in the hopes of accomplishing what @Hipofords is asking about. I'd love to drive one prior to shelling out the $$, but I don't know of anyone in my part of the world that runs an Elka suspension. It's a pretty big gamble to fork over that much money and waiting time for a suspension, with no real experience with how it rides...I don't seem to have the issues that the OP has on my OR + KDSS with Eibach struts & shocks, but at the same time I know that there are better setups out there. I was hoping the Toytec 2.5 Aluma series would work, but they don't offer a lift in the 0"-2" range.

10. May 18, 2021 at 11:18 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    My 4Runner is my first "truck" so I'm not sure what is normal, but my views on its ride quality echo yours. I was hopeful that getting a "truck" would result in my body not feeling all the crappy roads.. I was imagining some sort of trophy truck suspension I guess.. but figured that with all the extra clearance and (assumed) suspension travel, the 4Runner would surely feel better on the pot holes than cars do.. but it really doesn't. It's disappointing, but at least I feel like the pot holes aren't hurting the 4Runner like they were with my BMW. I suppose body on frame doesn't result in a good ride, as that is probably frankly a strength of unibody construction, however (hopefully) a resilient vehicle comes from BOF.

I upgraded to an Eibach shock and OME/Bilstein lift spring combo.. drum roll.. it feels the same. I say upgrade because there is more clearance, and slightly more travel, however the ride feels, basically, the exact same. If you are searching for a plush ride, I think FOX or KINGS, maybe ELKA/Radflo? are your best bets. Go with 550 or maybe 600 lb springs for the front, as soft as possible in the rear unless you regularly load it up. I plan to eventually upgrade again, but I'm in no real hurry and have other priorities currently. For now, the extra lift does look sweet, at least ha.

Cheers and good luck!

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    Thatbassguy, McSpazatron and kmeeg like this.
  11. May 18, 2021 at 2:25 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    @koukimonster thanks for the detailed observations. I’m kinda in the early stages of considering a lift as well.

As detailed as your observations were, Im kinda left thinking about how much perception really plays a huge role on how happy people are with their setups.

Im still stock everything, but in comparison to what you are experiencing, have been impressed by the ride on the stock 4runner. Instead of the expected “truck-like” ride, i perceive it more like “crown-vic.” While I dont necessarily see it as a sophistated ride suspension-wise, I see it as smooth, well damped (considering all the unsprung mass), and weighty. I have had horrid stock rides before in new cars (2001 Civic, and 2011 Kia Optima that basically had zero rebound damping) so I am glad the 4runner is composed from the factory.

When I go for my lift kit, Id be happy with similar damping compared to stock. I also wouldnt mind firmer damping, so long as it is well controlled. I wouldnt mind paying extra for elka or Ironman foams if I could be assured they at least kept some of the balanced feel of stock. Firmer is fine, but it has to be able to react to little things, and not pack or excessively bounce on deeper use or washboardy areas.

i think it would be great for reagional get togethers to include a suspension demo day for drivers willing to drive around a fellow board member.

12. May 18, 2021 at 2:36 PM
    Hipofords

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Just like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is a seat of the pants assessment of ride quality. Obviously whether one is happy with the stock 4R ride depends on what they've driven before, what type of surfaces they regularly encounter, etc. I will say though, I don't think the 4R issues that some of us feel are all a "body on frame" issue. My '04 1/2 ton 4WD Suburban soaks up bumps far more elegantly, and it's obviously BOF. Also a much longer wheelbase and much heavier, so I realize apples and oranges to some extent.

13. May 18, 2021 at 3:59 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    To add another variable, one’s approach to potholes could be different too. I constantly try to avoid sharp edged potholes. Maybe others view potholes as a way to test the truck out....

14. May 18, 2021 at 8:05 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    What part of the country are you in? I would be glad to let you drive my Runner for a bit.

15. May 18, 2021 at 10:39 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Thanks! Im in the Midwest, probably a smidge far ;)

Thatbassguy likes this.
  16. May 19, 2021 at 3:09 AM
    Hipofords

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    I appreciate the offer, unfortunately I'm in Seattle.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  17. May 19, 2021 at 12:56 PM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    To be fair and clear, I don't think the stock 4Runner had a bad ride or suspension. I was just hoping for more. If Crown Vic is what you feel, I do not disagree. I was hoping for more than Crown Vic feel. Crown Vic is just a car.. and to me, cars are designed for smooth asphalt. Sure, hopefully today's automobile engineers are aware of the state of our infrastructure.. but you get the point. I figured the 4Runner was designed to go hard off-road.. but it really isn't. It's a lot of compromise to (try to) make a vastly varying customer base all happy. So yeah, a somewhat smooth car ride doesn't sound far off from what they were probably aiming for. I mean.. look around at whom is driving most 4Runners.

I think a lot of guys that lift their 4Runner are modifying suspension for the first time. We've all been there, and also many people really want to enjoy what they spend their hard-earned money on. Most people seem to like what they've bought, just because they bought it. Some real psychological phenomena going on there, I'm sure. I've swapped suspension on about 7 or so different cars I've owned, so I'm aware that it's not always an upgrade, but rather suspension modification should be viewed as a process (unless you're fortunate enough to directly test various products for a decent period of time before purchasing). I went into this without the "omg it's new so must be better" feeling (and I'm also super skeptical as a person), which is why I have no problem realizing that it really isn't all that much of an upgrade, after all...

18. May 19, 2021 at 1:01 PM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Yes a longer wheel base has a HUGE effect on ride quality, and just like you said, that along with the relatively light-weight the 4Runner brings to the table is probably why it doesn't ride all that great for a "truck." But it's also a pretty cheap vehicle, so what do you expect? And yes, I said cheap, as in they are built pretty cheaply. The only reason they cost so much is because there is hardly any competition in the market. Toyota is making crazy profit off these things. I'd expect a Suburban, which is a much nicer vehicle when it comes to creature comforts, to ride a good bit better. But I'd also expect it to be not as capable, or fun, to go off-road with.

19. May 19, 2021 at 1:03 PM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Hey, they wouldn't fix them! So I gave in and bought a 4Runner, and now my goal is to make the holes bigger every time I can. ;-)

But really, come on down to Birmingham, AL - established in good ol' 1879 - and see how bad roads can be lol.

20. May 28, 2021 at 1:40 PM
    LandCruiser

LandCruiser I have Toyotas

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    You have to go external reservoir.

No compromise.

But kidding aside, I have a external Reservoir Icon lift and everybody that has driven it says it rides better then factory and it floats on washboard roads, so I can’t imagine rough pavement being worse.

Hiluxforever likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top