1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2023 Build Thoughts and new member intro

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by CandyManDan, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Mar 10, 2023 at 10:30 AM
    CandyManDan

CandyManDan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Working on it
    I am new to the forum, new to 4runners, new to lifts, and in general new to offroading and anything beyond a stock 4wd mall crawler.

This is my first post, so please let me know if I'm doing something that should be done differently.

I have a new 4runner on the way (in port but not delivered yet) and would like to make it a little more aggressive all the way around. It is a 2023 TRD Off Road Premium in Silver/Black with black TRD Pro wheels.

I hope to get it off road, but like most owners, this will probably be a daily commuter and mall cruiser that might see a fireroad at some point.

Here is the what I am looking at doing as soon as it's delivered:

Dobinsons lift:
    Front Springs: C59-302 - 2.5" Lift Stock Load, 2" w/150LBS Added Load Front Shocks: IMS59-50574 Internal Monotube IFP Shocks Suits 2.5"-3.5" (No extra pre-load) Rear Springs: C59-325 - Stock rear end, 2.5" lift Rear Shocks: IMS59-50701 Internal Monotube IFP Shock suits 0-3" lift. Optional Install Parts: UCA59-002K - Front UCA Kit, recommended for 2.5" or more, SE59-525K Sway Bar Drop Bracket
    Toyota/Lexus Front Bump Stops 0-3 Inch For 03-22 Runner 05-22 Tacoma, 06-14 FJ Cruiser, 03-22 Lexus GX DuroBumps (Recommended)
    DuroBumps Toyota/Lexus Rear Bump Stops 2 Plus Inch For 03-22 4Runner (Recommended)

Magnuson Supercharger:
    4Runner/FJ Cruiser 4.0L Supercharger System 30% hp & 28% lbs-ft increase at crank on stock truck Magnuson Calibration and Handheld Installer Device Included High-efficiency intercooler system for maximum charge air cooling and sustainable performance All hardware required for installation is included Proven maintenance-free supercharger technology. No added complexity of external supercharger oil cooler/heaters for extreme climates.

Tires:
    285/70/17 Toyo Open Country AT III All Terrain Tire LT285/70R17/10 121/118S TOY OPEN COUNTRY A/T III OWL

I will probably wait until the truck is in my possession to pull the trigger so that I'm sure nothing happens to it before I take delivery, but I'm strongly considering this.
    The total build would be just under $15K...

1) Does this look like a good direction to go?
    2) Does the price seem fair?

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Dan from KC

Theflea52 likes this.
  2. Mar 10, 2023 at 10:41 AM
    Dabigono

Dabigono Just Joined

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner
    Welcome,

Sounds like you have a good start planned

CandyManDan[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 10, 2023 at 10:43 AM
    CandyManDan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Working on it
    Thanks @Dabigono

Any thoughts on the price I've been quoted?
    (about $14500 all-in including tax)

4. Mar 10, 2023 at 10:45 AM
    JET4

JET4 New Member

Member:
    Southeast, Va.
    welcome

5. Mar 10, 2023 at 10:52 AM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Welcome to the forum Dan, sounds like a nice build. Kind of tuff to say on the pricing, unless some has gone with or shopped that same equipment.

6. Mar 10, 2023 at 10:55 AM
    CandyManDan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Working on it
    Thanks to all for the replies...
    As long as it doesn't seem to be way out of whack I'll probably pull the trigger after I have it in my possession. (I don't want to order the supercharger and then find out that the 4runner arrives with issues or damage).

SlvrSlug[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Mar 10, 2023 at 10:57 AM
    CandyManDan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Working on it
    Thanks, It's good to be here.

8. Mar 10, 2023 at 11:00 AM
    JETSPD1477

JETSPD1477 New

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Typical 4Runner
    i waited 6 months before i even lifted my 4R. paid off since i found a good deal on black friday.

9. Mar 10, 2023 at 11:24 AM
    CandyManDan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Working on it
    My wife would like me to hold off, but I usually only have cars for 3-4 years so enjoying it the whole time I have it makes sense to me.
    Besides, I'm not sure how much I'd like the 4runner without the supercharger... I am heavy footed! :)

10. Mar 10, 2023 at 11:25 AM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane
    Welcome. The 4Runner is pretty capable in stock form and will really surprise you with what it can do and where it can go. I would invest in some off-road armor and try out the trails that you want. If your rig is having issues, then I would start adding the additional items. $15k is quite a bit to dump into a new build, that is not really going to see a ton of hardcore off-road obstacles. I would price everything without the supercharger and see where you come in at. The supercharger is nice and adds power but will sacrifice on MGPs and long-term reliability.

Slopemaster and CandyManDan[OP] like this.
  11. Mar 10, 2023 at 11:27 AM
    CandyManDan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Working on it
    The SC is 2/3rds of the cost.
    $9527.00 including tax and labor.

Theflea52 likes this.
  12. Mar 10, 2023 at 3:46 PM
    Dabigono

Dabigono Just Joined

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner

YOLO

I wish I had that kind of free/disposable cash flow burning a hole in my pocket.

$15 G’s to throw on to a brand new ORP, nice!

13. Mar 10, 2023 at 3:49 PM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane
    :censored::censored::censored::censored:

I wish that I had 10k for a SC!

14. Mar 10, 2023 at 4:19 PM
    CandyManDan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Working on it
    :cheers:

:spending:

brownersd likes this.
  15. Mar 10, 2023 at 7:56 PM
    CandyManDan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Working on it
    Since I also included a new member intro, I should add that I am rarely serious, but seriously a smart a**…
    I will NEVER intentionally irritate anyone, but I will do my best to make you laugh or smile.

I hope I fit in here and that I grow to be a contributing member.

Harringbr99 likes this.
  16. Mar 11, 2023 at 12:16 AM
    nova

nova New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Soon Arizona
    Vehicle:
    slightly modified LE
    Hi and welcome.

I’d make sure you’ve vetted the shop installing the SC.

As for the plan and cost, it sounds ok.

If you think you’ll ever want bigger tries then I’d suggest holding off on the SC in case you want to up grade the suspension further or regear.

The whole upgrade bit is quite a rabbit hole so it’s good you have a plan. Go for it!

17. Mar 11, 2023 at 12:29 AM
    Thacrow

Thacrow New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    Hi Dan and welcome. I think you should start with the lift and take your time. Drive it for a while and see what little things here or there you want to do before going FI.

I have 31k in parts in my 4runner. I've done almost all the labor so that was free.

I don't have a supercharger but I want one.

Going to say it again. I have 31k in my 4runner no super charger and your build has about 65% budgeted just for the supercharger on a 14k build.

What I am trying to say here is if you don't actually have a budget then awsome. Have at it. But if you do have a hard budget then maybe hold off on the supercharger. You may end up spending a lot more.

Edit: so with those tires you will need to cut the bumper. If you want to add a steel bumper or lopro bumper with winch your front end will sag if the springs are only good for 150lbs more.

Edit 2: what motorcycle if your profile pic?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  18. Mar 11, 2023 at 4:46 AM
    CandyManDan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Working on it
    The shop is Adventure Motors in Kansas City, which seems to have good reviews and specializes in Toyotas. They have done a lot of superchargers and I feel they are the best shop in my area.

I guess I was thinking these would be the only mods I’d be doing, but I understand your point. However, since I’ll be doing mostly street driving, having a little more power is important to me, which is why I wanted to do the SC early on. I’m surprised to hear you say I’ll have to cut the bumper… the shop definitely did not mention that and I’m going to want to see their plan before I allow them to do that.

There is not a lot of places near me (within an hour or two) that I can take it off road, and honestly I don’t know if that’s really my thing… If I do decide to go off road I have a 2006 Range Rover that I’m not sure I’ll sell and I’d probably take it just because it’s older and worth a lot less.

Here is an old picture from the day I bought it from a friend. It was his second time owning it, and mine too!

CAC190EA-699C-4B97-A31F-D9B0E2846DFA.jpg

The bike in the pic is a 2015 BMW 1200 GS Adventure that I just sold. I’ve had several motorcycles throughout my life, both on road and off. I think that’s why I’ve never really got into off-roading. The motorcycles seem to get around so much faster and with a lot less damage.
    I have sold all but one bike over the last couple of years because I just can’t seem to make the time for them any more. That’s part of why I say I doubt the 4Runner will ever see much off road use.

19. Mar 11, 2023 at 7:50 AM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    Congratulations. It sounds like you are going to have a fabulous truck. One that many here can only dream of.
    What a waste.

20. Mar 11, 2023 at 8:41 AM
    Thacrow

Thacrow New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    Well shit. If you're not going off road then maybe you won't spend too much on it. Usually people start modding and just can't stop.

285/70's will usually rub a little but shouldnt need to take too much off the bumper to make it work with no rubbing. If you're really never going off road then you might not need to cut anything since it would rub the most when the suspension flexes. In your case I really wouldn't worry about it too much. If it rubs it's a very easy fix.

Sure would be cool to have a super charger. You'll have to share some pics if you move forward on it. There will be a lot of envious people including myself. Wish you the best on your build.

I've got a super tenere with cases just like that. Don't some cool trips off road. Good stuff.

21. Mar 11, 2023 at 8:56 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Welcome and congrats on the new ride!

Adventure Motors is definitely legit, and quick mental calculation shows that the build cost doesn't seem to be extreme, especially for a one and done. There's a value to not having take it to multiple shops, or deal with sketchy shops that may or may not know what they're doing.

I think I'm going to go against the grain here and say that out of your build, I would definitely do the supercharger. That will definitely add the most enjoyment to your vehicle. IMHO, the 4.0 kind of sucks. A lot of people here disagree with me, but it's just slow, doesn't sound good, can even be annoying to drive at times. Just my opinion.

Even the supercharger won't make it quick, but it will make it better, especially if you go with the larger tires. For a more functional build, I might say skip the supercharger and go with an axle regear, but sounds like you're just mainly going to be driving this on the road. People will try to shame you and tell you you're wasting your 4R by not off-roading, but your vehicle, you can do whatever you want.

I bought mine with the intention of taking it on all these off-road adventures, but in 70k miles of ownership I've only done it a handful of times, because all that stuff is so far away from where I live. I do 300 pavement miles a week just getting to and from work.

I would say maybe get some miles on it before you take it in for the work, you may think of additional or different things that you want to do to it. Priorities may change once you get some seat time.

If you do decide to get more into off-roading, I would also consider some upgraded skid plates and definitely rock sliders.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and definitely post up some pics!

22. Mar 11, 2023 at 11:27 AM
    KYFHO

KYFHO Generic Scumbag

Member:
    UT
    2017 SR5P with some stuff
    For that much rear lift, add extended sway bar links and a BOTCK from DRKDSS

23. Mar 11, 2023 at 11:47 AM
    Steely123

Steely123 What's the new trend? I'll do it!

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner SR5 premium
    Welcome. Sounds adventerous

24. Mar 11, 2023 at 11:47 AM
    CandyManDan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Working on it
    Being the NOOB I am, I'm sorry, but I don't know what a BOTCK or a DRKDSS is.
    Would you mind helping me out a little further please?

Also, thanks for the tips.

25. Mar 11, 2023 at 12:10 PM
    nova

nova New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Soon Arizona
    Vehicle:
    slightly modified LE
  26. Mar 11, 2023 at 12:11 PM
    CandyManDan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Working on it
    I'm a little surprised to hear that so many want a supercharger but haven't bought one... Looking at some of the builds and accessories on this site, I don't feel like it's a money decision. There are some really nice setups here.

Which brings me to my question.
    Is it just that you'd rather spend the money on other mods or is there something I have not considered that is a negative with the SC?

My reasoning for going in with it early on is that I don't have plans to do the off-roading that many of you do, so some of the mods you have spent your money on may be less important to me... And honestly, one of the reasons I looked closer at the 4runner was because there was a supercharger available that would make it powerful enough to keep my attention.

Am I missing something?

I think you get my goals pretty well.

I watch videos of off-roading frequently and with envy, but I don't really have the time or money it takes to do it.
    So, rather than build the ultimate off-road vehicle, I'd like it to look good, drive good, and run good.

Trail Runnah[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Mar 11, 2023 at 12:16 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    For me, my 4Runner is 10 years old with 150k miles. Seems kind of silly to put a $9,000 mod on it. Plus I don't have the budget for that, and even if I did I feel like that's throwing money away. If I had a ton of disposable income, maybe, then again I would probably have a newer vehicle. Right now I have some financial goals that have nothing to do with driving a modded vehicle.

Also, I think one factor maybe that people generally buy these because they pretty much last forever with minimal maintenance. I haven't researched it, but I have to imagine that there'd be some additional maintenance and expense from running the supercharger. Whether or not it would affect the longevity of the motor, I don't know. But even the fact that you would have to run premium fuel is a turn off for me.

Edit: maybe it's a little late for it, but did you ever think about a gently used 200 series Land Cruiser? That has a 5.7 V8 with over 100 HP/TQ more than the 4R, so you may not have the need to supercharge that. It's also a much nicer vehicle.

28. Mar 11, 2023 at 12:29 PM
    nova

nova New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Soon Arizona
    Vehicle:
    slightly modified LE
    I don’t have any data on the long term consequences of running a SC, but I haven’t heard anything negative about it either.

On road vs off-road focused, you’re spot on. I for instance took a decidedly off-road focus. So my budget went towards gears, lockers, suspension, armor and wheels/tires, winch etc.

It’s all good though, just build your vision and enjoy it :cool:

CandyManDan[OP] and Trail Runnah like this.
  29. Mar 11, 2023 at 12:39 PM
    CandyManDan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Working on it
    I looked at Land Cruisers a lot but, just like the 4runner, they hold their value so well that to get into 4runner pricing, it's a pretty well used vehicle and I'm ready to be in something new or near new. The LC is out of my price range.

Your description of why you don't SC your 4r is why I'm considering it early on.
    Like you, I could talk myself out of it once the truck gets a little older.

I have to admit, since starting this thread, I am second guessing the idea... at least second guessing doing it right when I take delivery.

Trail Runnah[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Mar 11, 2023 at 1:04 PM
    CandyManDan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Working on it
    My thought is if it cuts the life of the 4.0 in half it'll still outlast most engines...

Products Discussed in

To Top