1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022 TRD Pro issue..

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Juan2022, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Sep 4, 2022 at 7:01 PM
    Juan2022

Juan2022 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    RGV
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner TRD Pro
    None
    I purchased a 2022 trd pro this Weekend and on my way home i noticed vibration on the steering wheel above 50 mph - approximately 70 mph. It also has a slight pull to the right. When i let go of wheel it tracks straight for about 5 seconds then slowly starts going to the right. Any recommendations?

Tmiesowicz likes this.
  2. Sep 4, 2022 at 7:03 PM
    SCMountaineer

SCMountaineer New Member

Member:
    Upstate South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    On my third 5th gen — 2021 SR5 premium 4wd
    Gunmetal TRD wheels, Yakima rack, Canvasback covers
    The steering wheel vibration is an unfortunately common problem that is difficult to remedy. Road force balancing of the tires seems to be the most successful fix.

Slopemaster likes this.
  3. Sep 4, 2022 at 7:09 PM
    Juan2022

Juan2022 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    RGV
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner TRD Pro
    None
    Ill take it to Discount tire tomorrow and see if they can do the balancing. Thanks for input.

MattO2786 likes this.
  4. Sep 4, 2022 at 7:13 PM
    Jackstraw

Jackstraw New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 Pro Trickie Woo
    You might want to make sure they’re open tomorrow for Labor Day before you drive there.

5. Sep 4, 2022 at 7:23 PM
    Juan2022

Juan2022 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    RGV
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner TRD Pro
    None
    Thanks, shows them open online but I’ll call before I go.

6. Sep 4, 2022 at 7:25 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    The forum is full of several threads on this topic. I have the same issue and so is others. Go through a process of elimination as you find a way to correct the problem. The road force balance is a good starting point. I did it once but didn't get much improvement.
    Good luck.

7. Sep 4, 2022 at 7:27 PM
    Juan2022

Juan2022 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    RGV
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner TRD Pro
    None
    Are you still experiencing this issue?

8. Sep 4, 2022 at 7:28 PM
    Juan2022

Juan2022 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    RGV
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner TRD Pro
    None
    I have a feeling it’s the tires, I’ve never owned this brand. I stick to BF Goodrich.

9. Sep 4, 2022 at 8:20 PM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda CRV...UGH!
    Lots of people with BFG's have this probably. Mine is so minor that I don't worry about it anymore and it tracks straight.

10. Sep 4, 2022 at 8:26 PM
    DadOperator

DadOperator New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 Trail Special Edition
    Interesting. I have the same issue but I figured just the roads I was driving on. But it’s minor. I may just let it go. But maybe I shouldn’t?

Do people bring to dealer or what?

11. Sep 4, 2022 at 8:43 PM
    achtung6

achtung6 New Member

Member:
    Have them check the alignment while they're at it. Mine had the vibration in the steering wheel at around 60 to 62mph. It got better but did not disappear until I got an alignment after installing the Wescott lift. I'm sure the lift has nothing to do with the solution but the alignment certainly does. Also, since your truck pulls to one side, this is an alignment issue. Remember, the Fox suspension and those wheels/tires are fitted when the truck arrives in the States. The balancing and alignment is not done in Japan...... I suspect this is why many Pro owners complain about this very issue as it's labor done here and quite possibly in a hurry.

Loco x Toyota likes this.
  12. Sep 4, 2022 at 9:57 PM
    Loco x Toyota

Loco x Toyota New Member

Member:
    Cedar Park, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro Solar Octane
    Thanks for the info, I didn't know Pros are just redressed TRD Off Road. I thought all done in Japan

13. Sep 4, 2022 at 10:08 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I had the same issue on my TRD Pro. I think since the TRD Pro parts accessories are added here in the USA (i think) it may not have Japan quality. I paid my own money for wheel alignment and wheel balance since Toyota dealerships have poor workmanship. Now its pretty good but I think TRD pro wheel is not perfect.
    20210610_114753.jpg

14. Sep 4, 2022 at 10:16 PM
    Loco x Toyota

Loco x Toyota New Member

Member:
    Cedar Park, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro Solar Octane
    I didn't bring to the dealer, because:
    • dealers are too busy
    • they can always tell you it's normal and characteristic of 4Runner nothing to worry
    instead of trying to rebalance old wheels and tires, I had discount tires assemble a new set of racing wheels made in Japan and highway tires made in US and balanced by one of those more meticulous technicians, $120 + $20 tip fixed the shimmy/vibration.

POWERPLANTHOMER likes this.
  15. Sep 4, 2022 at 10:23 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    OP, my 2016 and 2020 vibrate a little, both cases wheel balance was the culprit....mostly.

The BFGs shimmy until they warm up, then smooths out. The Wildpeaks had a balance issue. The Terragrapplers did fine for a while then needed attention occasionally.

I do hope this doesn't detract from what is otherwise an enjoyable vehicle to drive. I do have a theory, however.

The sensitivity of the steering on 4Runners are on the sensitive side. Oddly, there's a bit of a dead spot in the dead center too. On the other hand, the steering on my land cruiser feels heavy. I think the caster or "heaviness" feeling absorbs the undulations that might be noticed on the 4Runner. I suspect the vibration exists in both cases, just masked on the LC.

For what it's worth, 100k miles on the 2016, and 40k on the 2020 and other than annoying me occasionally, it's never been an issue. Tire wear is good, vehicles are typical 4Runners, drive a bit bulky but just keep on doing their job without complaint. I'm not the dealer saying "it's normal," because it's sometimes not noticeable, and sometimes annoying as hell. But I will say it's not a problem mechanically.

P.S. Aftermarket wheels seemed to yield better results regarding balancing than the TRD ORP wheels, but you have the Pro wheels, but you might be fine.

POWERPLANTHOMER likes this.
  16. Sep 4, 2022 at 10:27 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Also this. So after talking with friends who own offroad shops, alignments and stuff, and then seeing and using the equipment, it's as much art as science. You're hitting a range, not a specific number, and if you change one spec, you'll affect others (change camber, need to resweep caster..etc).

Many just hit the green targets and call it good, some go extra and try to centerline as much as they can.

17. Sep 4, 2022 at 10:41 PM
    PC836

PC836 New Member

Member:
    Fresno, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2022 White 4Runner PRO

Yep, my new PRO does the same. Alignment on these new rig is horrible. Mine drives to the right and wheel is not center but cant say for sure on the viberation.

I dont drive it enough to even bother taking it to the shop so I’ll just wait and do it all at one time once new wheels and lift goes on.

18. Sep 5, 2022 at 5:45 AM
    hossler1788

hossler1788 Turtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2020 4runner
    When you had the tires rebalanced, did they mention anything about the wheels? I've never heard a issue with the pro wheel.

I'd take it back to the dealer to see IF they can fix the issue.

19. Sep 5, 2022 at 6:43 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    No discount tire didn't mention about wheels. It was just my assumption since my SR5 / TRD Offroad/ Limited wheels didn't have balance issues even after A/T tires KO2 & Wildpeaks from same shop. That is why I say i "think". :) With both stock Nitto and current Duratracs sometimes i get vibration (not always) on highway and almost always after a trail run for the first few until the mud /dirt is ejected.

Additional info why I did alignment?

1) When I left of the gas i felt like car slow down little more than other 4runners.
    2) when I apply brakes the car pulls to the side a bit
    3) when the hands off the steering (just to test) car seems to pull to a side a little bit.

20. Sep 5, 2022 at 7:01 AM
    Tmiesowicz

Tmiesowicz New Member

Member:
    The better half of New York
    Vehicle:
    2022 sr5 premium 4x4 (sold) 2022 ram classic tradesman 5.7L 4x4 (current)
    Welcome to the club, this is why I am selling mine…it’s unsolvable in my case. Stock dunlops were the worst, last try for me was all new tires. The ko2’s are smooth as silk but the issue still persists. Never had a issue with ko2’s, had multiple sets over the years on my old Tahoe. I don’t blame the tires I blame the vehicle. Sorry for the experience you are about to go through, hope it’s something dumb in your case though. Welcome to the forum!

21. Sep 5, 2022 at 8:00 AM
    Juan2022

Juan2022 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    RGV
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner TRD Pro
    None
    I hope I don’t regret trading in the JL. I know the eight hour ride back home from the city I purchased the 4 runner was way more comfortable in the 4Runner. I was going to take it to Discount Tire but think I’ll just take it to the dealership tomorrow for its first oil change and let them know about the vibration I’m getting. So does everyone experience vibration when going up to 285 tires?

Thatbassguy likes this.
  22. Sep 5, 2022 at 8:10 AM
    Tmiesowicz

Tmiesowicz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Not everyone, mine happened on stocks

23. Sep 5, 2022 at 8:12 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    Hit or miss, some do, most don't.

24. Sep 5, 2022 at 8:16 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    My TRD ORP has BFG KO2 LT285/70R17 Load C on stock TRD Offroad wheels- No vibration / wheel balance issues.

My Limited has Falken Wildpeak AT3W P285/70R17 SL on TRD Offroad wheels- No vibration / wheel balance issues.

25. Sep 5, 2022 at 8:22 AM
    Tmiesowicz

Tmiesowicz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    @Thatbassguy has a very meaty setup and does not deal with shimmy and stuff as well.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  26. Sep 5, 2022 at 8:26 AM
    SYTY

SYTY New Member

Member:
    THE ARM PIT OF AMERICA NY STATE THE ROTTEN APPLE
    My 21 TRD Off Road premium had a balance & alinement problem day one dealer couldn’t fix and alinement was out enough to wipe out tires even after dealer did the alinement the first time,I balanced and aliened it my self 2 times tires are cheep it still has a slight shimmy but i think it’s just the tires.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  27. Sep 5, 2022 at 8:32 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Vibration, or shimmy?

You're going to feel vibration in the wheel if you have aggressive tires. That's not an issue with the vehicle.

If you're getting a steering wheel shimmy, typically around 60 MPH, a good balance usually cures this.

But, the 4runner is extremely sensitive to off balance tires. And, some folks can't seem to get rid of it, despite multiple rebalances and trying different shops. Nobody seems to know what causes the problem.

Edit:. But, I have LT/C 285/70/17 AT's and LT/E 295/70/17 MT's and they're silky smooth.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  28. Sep 5, 2022 at 8:44 AM
    Juan2022

Juan2022 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    RGV
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner TRD Pro
    None
    Thanks for all the input.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  29. Sep 5, 2022 at 11:02 AM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    The plot thickens guys and girls....

So, I replaced the needle bearing by East Coast Gear Supply (ECGS), several videos on the subject are running around youtube. I went down and gave a good shake at the CV on the driver side and sure enough it was a bit lose, so I said, I'm willing to give this a try. My 4R only has 30K, so I considered this relatively new so debated it for a little while on whether or not I was going to open up this can, but we did it. In taking the needle bearing out, we did notice that it wasn't perfectly aligned and there was a small gap, I said, this has to be where the damn shimmy comes from because some of the videos suggested this was one of the culprits. We put everything back on, new alignment, new balancing, and the damn $@^T#@ SOB shimmy still there, not bad, but I can still feel the damn thing at 50mph to 60mph. I haven't done one thing yet and that is the road force balancing thing, but the techs and the masters of all are telling me that my tires are the culprit and I think they are right. Last month I managed to get inside the shop while they were balancing the tires so that I got a chance to learn how the machine works and operates and yes, I did witness how the tire was doing an oval kind of run and how they adjust with the little weights or counterbalance to adjust for this. Again, this stuff is more of an art and trial and error than some sort of exact science. I do know however that after lifting the truck with different suspension and different UCA's, I have just about changed any symmetry or specs from stock so if there is a shimmy on stock vehicles, well, mine will do even more...I think.

I also have a Tacoma TRD Pro 2017, and I do experience a similar shimmy but not always. I had a 2nd Gen Tacoma as well, and had the same issue. I will eventually let go of this issue and accept it that this the way it is and move on.:notsure: I won't lose any sleep over or spend more time and money.

30. Sep 5, 2022 at 5:31 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    I had 285 E load Nitto Ridge Grapplers on Pro rims and it drove smooth as silk. Same with my current 265 Nitto RG’s. I think it comes down to the techs.

Thatbassguy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top