1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022 TRD ORP Missing Basic Tech

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by toolmankan, Mar 3, 2022.

1. Mar 3, 2022 at 11:51 AM
    toolmankan

toolmankan [OP] New Member

Member:
    2022 ORP w/Off Road Package
    This is probably old hat here, but I tried looking thru old threads.

I just bought a 2022 TRD ORP, with an "off road package" (that added the TRD PRO wheels, black vinyl wrap on the emblems, a black exhaust tip, rock rails, and something else)

This vehicle is a "premium" and came with lane control, adaptive cruise control, blinkers and blind spot warninsg in the side view mirrors, and other tech that I don't care about. So I presumed it had some real basic 10 year old tech. However, I found that it DOES NOT HAVE (which seems insane to me given that it's a 2022) is:

Daytime Running Lights
    Auto Headlights
    Auto Start

There are several more items, but these were the "REALLY!?" items that floored me.

The first 2 are somewhat safety related. The last is convenience (cold mornings/hot days and pre-conditioning the car before entry)

I called the dealer and they said "they don't come with that." Is that for real? My 9 year old suburban has remote start, daytime running lights and auto headlights. This is real basic stuff.

I almost want to return it I'm so disappointed. Thoughts/Feedback?

2. Mar 3, 2022 at 11:53 AM
    TRDLE

TRDLE New Member

Member:
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD Pro
    The Pro has all of those things. But overall, this is a vehicle you get when you're willing to sacrifice the latest technology for reliability.

werlyb23, freak4life, 2Toys and 3 others like this.
  3. Mar 3, 2022 at 11:55 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    Is your left wrist broken?

4. Mar 3, 2022 at 11:55 AM
    banjos-n-beer

banjos-n-beer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Pro
    i'm pretty sure you have DRLs.

5. Mar 3, 2022 at 11:58 AM
    slixx1320

slixx1320 New Member

Member:
    :rofl::rofl:

6. Mar 3, 2022 at 12:02 PM
    arthughes1

arthughes1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Bentonville, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    White ‘22 ORP
    My ORP has DRLs, you just have to turn them on yourself. I agree it is stupid to have auto high beams but not auto headlights.
    You'll get used to it.

Only complaint I have is I don't have dual zone climate control. This is the first car I've ever owned without it. Even my '01 Jeep GC had it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  7. Mar 3, 2022 at 12:07 PM
    crashnburn

crashnburn New Member

Member:
    Kyx nerfbars, TRD roof rack.
    My sr5 even has DRL. Some models have the remote start (not my sr5) but that requires a subscription. People then complain that it shuts off once you open the door. The only thing I wish my sr5 had is a second data port for music.

8. Mar 3, 2022 at 12:16 PM
    fbingha

fbingha New Member

Member:
    Auto start turns off on every Toyota when you open the door.

iowat4r and Overland WT like this.
  9. Mar 3, 2022 at 12:41 PM
    toolmankan

Member:
    I agree with your statement, but that's also why it's ironic that it has lane control, adaptive cruise and other tech that is the latest tech, and sacrifices DRL which is really more a safety item.

Trail Runnah likes this.
  10. Mar 3, 2022 at 12:44 PM
    toolmankan

Member:
    Haha, really? Do any other manufacturers do that? That seems like it would be frustrating. I guess you run outside, leave the key in the cupholder, start the car and fire up seats and heat, and then run back inside and hope someone doesn't drive off with it

11. Mar 3, 2022 at 12:45 PM
    toolmankan

Member:
    it will be from spinning those lights on and off all the time, haha!

12. Mar 3, 2022 at 12:48 PM
    LA260

LA260 New Member

Member:
    Have you turned the DRLs on?

werlyb23, A&P and DogoPilot like this.
  13. Mar 3, 2022 at 12:49 PM
    TRDLE

TRDLE New Member

Member:
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD Pro
    Subaru does the same. At least my wife's '14 Outback does.

14. Mar 3, 2022 at 12:50 PM
    toolmankan

Member:
    I mean, yes you can manually turn them on, but during the day you have to remember to turn them off. Unless the auto-turn off before the battery dies?

15. Mar 3, 2022 at 12:51 PM
    LA260

LA260 New Member

Member:
    The DRLs turn off when the car is turned off.

werlyb23, A&P, 2Toys and 4 others like this.
  16. Mar 3, 2022 at 12:55 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    I don’t know if it’s been done on the 22 yet, but previous models have a sensor in the middle of the dash under rear view mirror. Use to be you could just buy the sensor and pop it in and have auto lights

Mtbpsych and toolmankan[OP] like this.
  17. Mar 3, 2022 at 1:12 PM
    toolmankan

Member:
    you just blew my mind! Can't wait to check it out and take one item off the list. Many Thanks!

DogoPilot likes this.
  18. Mar 3, 2022 at 1:12 PM
    Sandman317

Sandman317 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 AG ORP
    I just bought a new ORP last week, was baffled when I realized it doesn’t have auto headlights. Hell, I have a bare bones Corolla as a work vehicle and even it has auto headlight. I assumed all newer cars had them.

19. Mar 3, 2022 at 2:11 PM
    lunar_t4r

lunar_t4r New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 Lunar Rock ORP
    those features could have been easily researched prior to purchase if they were so important for you.

similarly: "my brand new 4runner has bad fuel mileage and this v6 is too weak to haul this 4500lb truck around"

20. Mar 3, 2022 at 2:45 PM
    toolmankan

Member:
    yes, that's true, 100%. But really, these are basic items that are on my 2011 Chevy Suburban, 2014 Ram 3500 and a 2007 Lexus GX470. I know what "assume" means, but it also seems like these are obvious inclusions for 2022, especially when they tell you it has adaptive cruise, etc. You almost take them for granted as "old tech that is standard." Certainly I could have researched it, but more the point that it's a 10 year old option and it has new tech, but not old tech.

icyhotahs and Gearhead Chick like this.
  21. Mar 3, 2022 at 2:52 PM
    crashnburn

crashnburn New Member

Member:
    Kyx nerfbars, TRD roof rack.
    My nissan had a bunch of fancy features but was a piece of crap and couldn't handle driving on the beach. I got what I wanted with a 4runner. I should have bought the fj cruiser back then.

POWERPLANTHOMER likes this.
  22. Mar 3, 2022 at 3:53 PM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    On my 2022 ORP I have a light switch with 4 positions: Off, DRL, Marker Lights, and Headlights. (Type A in your manual. There are different switches for different trims.) The DRLs don’t operate when the parking brake is set. They also won’t operate if they have been disabled in the vehicle settings menu of the infotainment system, regardless of whether the light switch is set to the DRL position or not.

So, if your light switch is like mine, for normal daytime use of the DRLs just keep the switch set to DRL. The daytime running lights will come on when you start the engine and disengage the parking brake. They will turn off when you turn off the engine. No excessive wrist twisting required. After driving at night just return the light switch to the DRL position instead of the off position. Quirky? Perhaps. But there it is.

23. Mar 3, 2022 at 4:12 PM
    Sandman317

Sandman317 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 AG ORP
    Agreed, I didn’t even think to look for auto headlights. My last 5 cars dating back to my 2007 Maximum had it, assumed it was standard. The 2018 Tacoma I traded in had it, so didn’t even look when I test drove it. Not a deal breaker and still love the vehicle, still one of those things that just seems odd.

Gearhead Chick likes this.
  24. Mar 3, 2022 at 4:27 PM
    Mr. Snuffleupagus

Mr. Snuffleupagus Light Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandt
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    Elka 2.5 DC, Sherpa Crestone, C4 Lo Pro, Baja Designs S8, Morimoto 4bangers, Switch Pro 9100, Westcott Designs sliders, Toyo Open Country RT Trail 285 75/R17
  25. Mar 3, 2022 at 5:29 PM
    ZackDanger

ZackDanger New Member

Member:
    Western MA
    Yeah. I just leave my switch set to DRL and they’ll turn off automatically when the vehicle turns off. (The stalk switch is actually contoured in a way that implies you’re supposed to leave it in the DRL position.)

Additionally there is a setting in my ‘21 infotainment that will also turn off the regular headlights in a certain time period after I turn the motor off.

Additionally additionally, if you don’t have remote start factory (which I assume you won’t without a Pro or Limited) just get the accessorides plug-and-play module. I got the one with the cellphone app and it’s better than any factory remote start I’ve ever had.

26. Mar 3, 2022 at 5:47 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    You got me all excited! I tried and it doesn’t work.

Regarding options, the 4runner is a legacy vehicle from a legacy import manufacturer. Auto climate control like 1995 Pontiac Bonnevilles used to have??? Nope…”we dont do that here”. Lol

The day I got my 21 Off Road home. I realized it didn’t even have home-link haha

It also doesnt have a place for sunglasses.

The only reason Toyota has TSS is because they are required to have it, as far as I recall. Same as airbags and seatbelts.

Dont want or miss auto climate control. If the system in our 18 highlander is any indication, Toyota has no idea how to properly warm a super cold cabin, without you first enduring 3rd degree burns over any body part near a vent. The temp sensor must be buried in the cargo area, because it tries mightily to get it to set temp with a super aggressive ramp up. It doesnt let up pumping scorching heat until you've already arrived at your destination. I can do that with my manual system by just setting it to high.

i used to have an 11 Kia Optima. The auto climate was seamless and invisible. I never chased it’s tail. Pretty much set it and dont think about it again until maybe the seasons change.

27. Mar 3, 2022 at 5:54 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    And is not electric either. Just keep it.

28. Mar 3, 2022 at 6:44 PM
    Gearhead Chick

Gearhead Chick New Member

Member:
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD ORP
    We had a 1998 Lexus ES 300 that had auto head lights......I'm not sure why 20+ years later Toyota is thinking they shouldn't be standard. My husband drives a 2010 Honda Ridgeline and he doesn't have auto headlights either. Can I turn lights on and off? Yes.....but in this day and age we shouldn't have to on $50K vehicles.
    -An opinion of one.

Sandman317 and DogoPilot like this.
  29. Mar 3, 2022 at 8:28 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Yup, Honda, another legacy import manufacturer, who have gotten used to customers interested in pretty much just solid dependable basic cars, emphasis on dependable. That’s all customers wanted, and that became toyotas/hondas gig.

Honestly, that’s why Kia has gotten such a strong foothold in the market lately. They offer tons of options without having to go the super expensive top trim levels (or step up to their luxury brand, like lexus). I bought an 11 Optima that was super impressive for an import. Leather, auto climate, lights, nice alloys, etc and a serious feeling of quality for thosands less than a more basic accord (with steelies mind you).

Like I mentioned before, the Kia’s auto climate was well thought out in terms of programming. But I didnt buy it to enjoy the auto climate. I was an old-school import buyer. Just give me solid quality, and give me the impression it will comfortably last 200k without major expense. Well, by 40,000 miles, the oil on my Kia would turn black as night a few thousand miles after I changed the oil. The oil smelled like gasoline, it consumed a bit of oil, the brakes were ridiculously difficult change out (especially because I needed 4 new calipers at 70k miles, and I got tired of the piss poor damping on the rear suspension. I happily traded it in for the highlander in 2018. And I was happy as a clam that I snagged the last model year before the redesigned model came out lol. I didnt even play with the auto climate for months after getting it, and usually turned off the nav screen while driving haha.

I wonder who the main demographic of 4runner buyers is. I swear it’s people like me who wish Honda would reissue the 98-2002 Accord, exactly like they made it back then. When I found out how far back the current 4runner goes back, I realized that’s exactly what this is! Basically its a vehicle that has been reissued since the 4th gen came out in the early 2000s save for some cosmetic changes.

Ah Toyota, a manufacterer after mine own heart ! :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  30. Mar 3, 2022 at 9:29 PM
    runnerjimmy

runnerjimmy Wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Scottsdale Az. Castle Rock Co.
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP Barcelona red
    Fox 2.5 DSC. 2 1/2” front, 2”rear. Falken Wildpeak 255/80/17
    Yeah, I miss the little metal button floorboard switch to switch low to high beam and back,

Products Discussed in

To Top