1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022 TRD off road premium spacer/suspension question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Texzen, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Sep 21, 2021 at 10:48 PM
    Texzen

Texzen [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner TRD OFF ROAD PREMIUM
    So I’m new to 4 runners. Previous suspension experience was with Jeep’s and a six inch lift 37’s on a recent tundra. Totally different animals.

Have done a lot of reading here but still confused by so many options and part interferences. (fender rubbing, UCA’s, CV Joint Angles, Adaptive cruise Issues etc). My build is coming with the TRD Pro Wheels and 26570R17 with Nitto Terra 2.

I want to lift for more aggressive look but I run the Colorado mountain roads and washboard tracks as well as the highways. Not a big crawler or anything like that. I want a smooth ride but not mushy.

I dont plan on adding iron bumpers winches or anything anytime soon. Maybe a hard shell Roof Top Tent. Standard gear load of coolers and duffle bags etc. Maybe a couple e bikes on a trailer hitch rack. Should I do spacers or suspension. I’m thinking 3 inch in front and something like 1.5 in rear. I want it near level even when loaded. I will eventually go to 275 0r 285’s. Which way do I go. Need advice. Oh I have no KDSS. Not a penny pincher (current ride is a McLaren) but as an engineer I don’t want to do more than I need or over complicate anything.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  2. Sep 22, 2021 at 12:04 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    If you want a smooth ride, do a suspension lift. If money isn’t an issue, coilovers are the way to go. Or just do regular shocks and add aftermarket coils. If you want level, you’ll want a 3”/2” lift, or maybe even closer to 2.5” in the rear if you’ll have a heavy load.

what model mclaren you rocking?

3. Sep 22, 2021 at 12:47 AM
    JET4

JET4 New Member

Member:
    Southeast, Va.
    welcome

Thatbassguy likes this.
  4. Sep 22, 2021 at 10:19 AM
    Texzen

Texzen [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    I have a Mclaren modified 12C. I was thinking about the icon stage one 3 1/2 inch in the front, it’s 2 inch in the rear. The dealership wants to sell me on spacers. He says to keep the stock ride quality. 3” Front and he says 1” rear….

Thatbassguy likes this.
  5. Sep 22, 2021 at 10:24 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Nice! With a 3/1 lift you’ll end up nose high with the smallest amount of weight in the rear, and while spacers will help retain close to stock ride quality, you’ll feel how crappy they are on washboard roads. You’ll need to get upper control arms at 3” lift in the front as well, and id personally keep the icon coilovers at 3” max as they’ll go down in ride quality the higher you go. Since you’re in Colorado, check out Toytec. They’re knowledgeable and can point you in the right direction for what will fit your needs.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    7385 and Thatbassguy like this.
  6. Sep 22, 2021 at 10:32 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I would go with a high end suspension lift for washboards. I would look at King, Fox, Elka, etc. I would avoid Icon, personally.

If you're goin 3" in front, I would go at least 1.5" in the rear. The factory rake is around 2". Like @Mtbpsych said, 3/1 will leave you nose high with any cargo.

Also, 3+ inches gets into the territory of needing a front differential drop. They're cheap and simple to install, though.

Texzen[OP], 7385 and Mtbpsych like this.
  7. Sep 22, 2021 at 10:33 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Also, welcome to the forum!

Texzen[OP], 7385 and Mtbpsych like this.
  8. Sep 22, 2021 at 11:02 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I believe 3inch spacer lifts will require/result in some level of spring preloading. That would result in a change in ride quality. A rear spring spacer is also effectively adding preload. Not to say it wouldnt work, but the ride quality would have to be different in some way.

I recently installed Dobinson IMS front and rear and am very pleased with the ride quality on the street. Firm controlled ride, not unlike a nice car. Totally different beast, not floaty anymore at all. Havent officially been off road, but it does not mind being hammered through parking lots full of broken pavement :)

9. Sep 22, 2021 at 6:13 PM
    Texzen

Texzen [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    Now I’m honing in on maybe the Eibach stage 2 or Bilstein 6112/5160.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  10. Sep 22, 2021 at 6:19 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I hear very good things about the Eibachs!

I have 6112's and 5100's and no complaints. It's definitely a firmer ride, but it soaks up bigger bumps nicely. I have about 35K miles on them and have abused them plenty, and they're holding up nicely. It's definitely a good bang for the buck.

Mtbpsych and McSpazatron like this.
  11. Sep 22, 2021 at 6:43 PM
    Texzen

Texzen [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    The eibachs have a delivery problem right now but nice at $750 for the shocks and springs.

I like the Elka’s 2.0 (for price) 2”-3”
    but they don’t come with rear springs and the website says it ya not a lift kit just a suspension system and the rear shocks provide no lift. So I don’t know what else would be required to get a say 3” front and 1.5 rear lift. Rear springs I assume….Would I need UCA’s and diff drop also?

12. Sep 22, 2021 at 6:52 PM
    Texzen

Texzen [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    Maybe I’ll look at the Dobinson. I really want a good Highway and town ride. The whole reason I didn’t get a TRD Pro was the Fox Ride is a little stiff for daily driver.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  13. Sep 22, 2021 at 7:01 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Somewere between 2.5-3" is where UCA's become necessary. If I were planning on 3", I would get UCA's.

Diff drop is debatable at 3". It's probably not a bad idea, but you could always do the lift and then look at the CV angles after it's done.

Dobinson makes great stuff! If you go that route, hit up @Crikeymike and he'll set you up.

Crikeymike likes this.
  14. Sep 22, 2021 at 8:13 PM
    thirdyota

thirdyota shouldn't be trusted

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 T4R TRD Off Road Premium

I have the Elka 2.0 IFP 2-3" adjustable range with 14" 650lb coils. Went with the matching Elka rear shocks and Bilstein 1" rear lift springs.

On road performance is fantastic IMO. Firm...not stiff or jarring. Very pleased with the setup.

Purchased the package from Headstrong Off-road.

You can buy 1.5" Bilstein rear lift springs if you'd like the rear a little higher.

I am running JBA UCA's.

No diff drop.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    McSpazatron and Thatbassguy like this.
  15. Sep 22, 2021 at 8:51 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Im not sure how stiff the Pro is, but my Dobinsons are firm. The best way I can describe it is that it rides like a nice modern car. It feels very similar to our 2018 higlander, maybe a little softer around the edges due to the 4runners taller sidewall.

In any case, it is well damped firmness. It’s not bouncy, even through some pretty nasty broken parking lots. In a couple of weeks, Ill be able to report how it feels in various off-road situations.

So far it feels like a different vehicle, in a good way. And that’s coming from someone who enjoyed the ridiculously soft ride of the original suspension.

Crikeymike and Thatbassguy like this.
  16. Sep 23, 2021 at 1:54 AM
    Nutmegtheref

Nutmegtheref ****

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    Have 3000 miles on a new Pro. Haven’t noticed it as being stiff. But, that’s probably a subjective thing.

Thatbassguy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top