1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2021 KDSS Problem that dealer can’t fix

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Trailblazzrr, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Mar 20, 2021 at 7:53 PM
    Trailblazzrr

Trailblazzrr [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021Toyota 4RunnerTRD X
    Hello to everybody in the community !

I posted recently about some suspension issues I have had with my 2021 4Runner TRD off road that I recently purchased new . I have had suspension problems from day one with this vehicle Which have progressively gotten worse and worse . I took the advise you all gave me and took it in to the Toyota dealer and had them diagnose what was going on

They informed me upon looking at the history of the vehicle that it wasn’t a factory TRD off road but That it had been a base line 4Runner that the dealer that I bought it from had installed a “TRD off road appearance package” which basically was front bumper covers and emblems . They also installed TRD pro wheels and tires .

So after the inspection I was informed that the front shocks were blown and had to be replaced . (They were Tokico shocks not even off road shocks). They informed me that they see a lot of Tacoma’s and 4runners come in with the same problem . So I had two options replace them with the same shocks or upgrade to bilsteins or the TRD fox shocks . I opted to go with the fox . So after $3700 repair on a three month New 4runner . I picked it up but noticed it was leaning on the passenger side by about 3” ! I told them this was not right and I wanted it corrected . They said the KDSS system on these vehicles was notorious for this problem and that I would have to buy a spacer kit to fix the problem ($360+labor)but they would have to order it . I reluctantly took my 4Runner and left . The fox shocks were much better but it still was terrible to drive on the street But dirt roads going to my house were a lot better than before .

After two days I took it back and told them it was not satisfactory and felt unsafe to drive still . I insisted they fix the kdss problem so they said they would look into it . When they got back to me they told me that the 2021 4runners KDSS system required a special tool to service and they didn’t have it . They said that it was $1800.00 but that they couldn’t even get one because it was on back order and would be a few months before they could get one, so there was nothing they could do until then . So I went to the service manager , He suggested that I purchase after market ride height adjustable shocks that could be adjusted to correct the lean and that they would reimburse me for the fox TRD shock package that I had paid for because they were not adjustable . So with great apprehension I agreed to do that . I purchased the icon 2.5 coil over shocks with remote reservoirs for the front and the icon 2.0 with remote reservoirs For the rear it is being installed now .

I think it sounds like a load of crap to me that they have to have a special tool for the 2021 4runner KDSS system and that they don’t have one ...does anybody know if this is true or not ? And maybe some advice on what to do about this whole situation I could really use a little help on this one. Thank you

2. Mar 20, 2021 at 8:02 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    So what does your paper work say you purchased, and why are you paying them for something that should be warranty work.

3. Mar 20, 2021 at 8:09 PM
    LakeEffect

LakeEffect New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Pro Lunar Rock
    There is something wrong here. You intended to buy an off road but it’s not an off road and it has KDSS?

Toy4X4, Kyblack76, brownersd and 4 others like this.
  4. Mar 20, 2021 at 8:16 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    If it's not an Off Road or Venture, it doesn't have KDSS. Plain and simple.

This dealer sounds a lot like they have no idea what they're talking about. I'd steer clear from them and raise the issue to Toyota corporate directly. Don't take it to these guys for anything else.

mve, Singleminded, thirdyota and 3 others like this.
  5. Mar 20, 2021 at 8:18 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Yeah, this is really weird.

"Base line" means it's an SR5. SR5's don't come with KDSS......only OffRoad's come with KDSS.

Go to a different dealer. The one you're going to are either dishonest or have no idea what they are talking about.

6. Mar 20, 2021 at 8:35 PM
    ToyotaMacGyver

ToyotaMacGyver At 88mph you’re going to see some serious sh...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White TRD Pro
    Can we see the window sticker?

7. Mar 20, 2021 at 8:39 PM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    None of this adds up.

-KDSS is only optional on TRD Off Roads. They did not retrofit it to a base model.

-The base model Tokico suspension is what comes on every TRD Off Road. It’s either a Pro with Fox (formerly Bilstein), Limited with XREAS, or any other model which all get the same suspension.

-There’s zero chance all 4 shocks just happened to be blown on a 2021.

-Why would you pay a dime in repairs when it’s a new vehicle that’s under warranty?

-KDSS lean is normal and common.

-There are special tools for servicing KDSS, however it doesn’t sound like anything to fix on it.

8. Mar 20, 2021 at 8:46 PM
    edgesalon

edgesalon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Te
    Vehicle:
    18 FunRunner :-)
    sorry that your going through this but if you have KDSS they should never sold you the Trd Fox suspension due to known lean issue. you should just ask to have the shocks replace under warranty and just go else where that knows what they are doing like 4X4 store. DO NOT give a cent everything should be under warranty its their bad for selling you something that does not work for your application. and how come your not going to the place that you bought the truck from Good Luck man.
    KDSS models get the same shocks and springs on the front except as SR5 and non KDSS have the front driver side shock with more of preload on the spring.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Singleminded likes this.
  9. Mar 20, 2021 at 8:47 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    KDSS should be only be worked by those who know what they are doing, else you get problems like this.
    I only know shops like Toytec here in Denver CO who is really good with them. I wonder if you have a really good 4x4 shop like Toytec near you.

If you want you can also give a call to Toytec (Hugo is my contact person there), they might be able to help you and may be refer you to a good 4x4 shop near you.

10. Mar 20, 2021 at 8:55 PM
    LA260

LA260 New Member

Member:
    Lol what?

thirdyota likes this.
  11. Mar 20, 2021 at 9:20 PM
    DrewMan

DrewMan 2016 4RTP-KDSS

Member:
    Middle Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Grey 4Runner Trail Premium
    Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks, Daystar 1.5" Rear Coil Spacer (Mid Left), Level 8 Tracker Pros 17x9, 275/70/R17 B.F. Goodrich TKO's, N-Fab Nerf Steps
    Man, this is really nuts! … You need to call Toyota or find a area representative … Don’t spend anymore money on this vehicle … tell them your situation and provide them with the VIN … they should know if it’s really a TRAIL or not and if it is not then they (Toyota) needs to replace it with a new vehicle for you no questions ask and reimburse you on the suspension upgrades … Definitely stay away from the dealership that lured you into replacing suspension along with the dealership that sold it to you; sounds to me that they are clueless and money hungry! … Also, please explain in detail what was going on with the suspension so I can better understand.
    Good Luck and I hope you don’t have to get an attorney involved.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  12. Mar 20, 2021 at 9:30 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    ^^^^All of this!

Plus, I've only heard of KDSS causing a lean with a lift. Even then, it doesn't really make sense, unless people are tampering with it.

Let's see the window sticker. This all doesn't add up.

13. Mar 20, 2021 at 9:37 PM
    Moon Landing

Moon Landing AFFTC 1967/68 Eddies Air Patch

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    La Quinta, Ca. AKA "The Skillet"
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    STOP! There's so much wrong here.

You need to contact TOYOTA before you get hosed any worse than it sounds like you already have. Sorry, but based on what you're saying.....it's the truth.

"If the dealership does not address your concern to your satisfaction, call the Toyota Customer Experience Center
    at (800) 331-4331."

Read this.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-214Runner/pdf/T-MMS-214Runner.pdf

EDIT: More info for you to read.

Accessories Warranty

Toyota Genuine Parts are built to the highest standards of quality, durability and performance. Most have 12-month coverage, and there aren't many, if any, companies that offer a longer guarantee.

For accessories purchased at the time of the new vehicle purchase, the Toyota Accessory Warranty coverage is in effect for 36 months/ 36,000 miles from the vehicle's in-service date, which is the same coverage as the Toyota New Vehicle Limited Warranty.1

For accessories purchased after the new vehicle purchase, the coverage is 12 months, regardless of mileage, from the date the accessory was installed on the vehicle, or the remainder of any applicable new vehicle warranty, whichever provides greater coverage, with the exception of car covers. Car covers are warranted for 12 months from the date of purchase and do not assume any coverage under the Toyota New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Found here.
    https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/warranty-owners-manuals

nimby, Singleminded, wdsteven and 2 others like this.
  14. Mar 20, 2021 at 9:59 PM
    Tuco S.

Tuco S. New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road w/KDSS in silver
    Time for a public service announcment. You need to 'out' this dealership so other people will know to avoid them. My head is spinning.

DrewMan and Moon Landing like this.
  15. Mar 20, 2021 at 10:03 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    @Moon Landing for sure OP should fight to get it fixed by Toyota. But when I ask about the warranty when the lift from a accessories list is installed by Toyota Dealership this is the response I got.

upload_2021-3-20_23-2-2.jpg

upload_2021-3-20_23-6-2.jpg

16. Mar 20, 2021 at 10:13 PM
    Moon Landing

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    Double talk written by an attorney.

DrewMan likes this.
  17. Mar 20, 2021 at 10:19 PM
    Tuco S.

Tuco S. New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Isn't the Fox suspension on the Pro models installed at the port of entry? If the dealer installed the same suspension, how could anyone claim it's aftermarket? They charged him $3700 for that? Omfg

Toy4X4 and DrewMan like this.
  18. Mar 20, 2021 at 10:23 PM
    4Runner170V

4Runner170V New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner Trail
    SSO Slimline Bumper w/Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch FOX 2.5 Front, 2.0 Rear/ICON UCA/OME Rear Spring 33X12.50R17 DRIFTA Drawer System ARB Awning APS Side Steps ICS Fab. Center Console Mount LFD Roof Rack Cross Bar Dual Battery System HAM/GMRS Mobile Radio
    My 2014 Trail with KDSS has lean. Left side is 7/16 higher than right. Toyota manufacture specification is "NO MORE THAN 3/4inch" As other people states, There should be no KDSS on SR5 and cannot be added. I suggest to take all document to another dealer and also send to TMS customer service. Double check your VIN for actual package. Did you sign up with Toyota Owner with Toyota website? I know many service director in East Coast Toyota dealers. Where are you located? City and State?
    Good luck...

DrewMan likes this.
  19. Mar 20, 2021 at 10:27 PM
    Moon Landing

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    It sounds like he resides in a place he refers to as Mountain Center based on a previous post. This is his 5th post, and from the looks of things, he never responds to posts he initiates.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...530538a74a104c!8m2!3d33.704948!4d-116.7254459

nimby likes this.
  20. Mar 20, 2021 at 10:45 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    My thoughts exactly. Nothing to see here. This fairy tale doesn't hold water.

nimby, Singleminded and thirdyota like this.
  21. Mar 20, 2021 at 10:46 PM
    Tuco S.

Tuco S. New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Good catch. 5 total posts, which includes 3 new threads he started. Looks like someone has too much time on his hands.

But if he's not just here trolling, I can confirm Dolan Toyota in Reno installs some aftermarket stuff on every vehicle and adds an addendum to the window sticker. It's all fairly standard lowball dealer stuff though = cheap window tint on the 2 front windows, rubber cupholder inserts (which I actually like), door edge guards (like those too), and they fill your oem tires with nitrogen and install fancy green valve caps. Total addendum price was around $750. My Toyota dealer in Vegas traded with Dolan for my truck, and I refused to pay for any of it. They didn't put up a fuss so I suspect actual cost was around $100, if that.

DrewMan likes this.
  22. Mar 21, 2021 at 3:30 AM
    Agent_Outside

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited

That’s not double talk, that’s just how it works.

23. Mar 21, 2021 at 6:18 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    The fox trd pro coilovers are set up for the lean. If you look at the bottom coil seat. One is higher than the other. You can see this by looking at the space between the top of the fox decal and the bottom of the coil. If it leans that much, and by reading above about how clueless that dealer is, I’d say they installed the front coilovers on the wrong side.

[​IMG]

see what I mean with how the coils are? The one on the right is set to adjust for the lean.

24. Mar 21, 2021 at 6:29 AM
    thirdyota

thirdyota shouldn't be trusted

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    This thread definitely reeks of being a TacomaWorld Friday thread.

nimby, Dark Knight and Thatbassguy like this.
  25. Mar 21, 2021 at 10:08 AM
    Moon Landing

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    That's my point. Compare the verbiage they use to sell their warranty to that that's used once we're covered by it.

26. Mar 21, 2021 at 10:11 AM
    Agent_Outside

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    Moon Landing[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Mar 21, 2021 at 10:26 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    Wtf

thirdyota likes this.
  28. Mar 21, 2021 at 11:12 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    Exactly

T-Rex266[QUOTED] and thirdyota like this.
  29. Mar 22, 2021 at 10:10 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    This is incorrect. The guy you spoke with is ignorant. I don't even think he realized that you were asking about Genuine Toyota Accessories, because he uses the term "aftermarket" in his response.

The TRD Pro suspension kit, if purchased directly from Toyota, is covered under a warranty. And since it's a Toyota designed part, Toyota would have a REALLY hard time proving that an associated warranty repair shouldn't be covered, in the off-chance that it happened. Now of course, if you put an aftermarket suspension kit on your 4Runner, and you have a ball joint fail, AND Toyota can reasonably determine / prove that your aftermarket lift cause the failure.. then repairing that ball joint would be on your dime.

Anyway, OP sounds as clue-less as his dealer.. what a match made in heaven.

30. Mar 22, 2021 at 10:19 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I was lucky it didn't happen through the Toyota dealership I bought mine because I found a way better 4x4 shop who seem to know what they are doing better than Toyota Dealership.

Products Discussed in

To Top