1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2020 Cruise control issue

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by GMak, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Oct 29, 2020 at 4:59 PM
    GMak

GMak [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner TRD
    We are experiencing issues with the cruise control system on our 2020 TRD. While towing 3500lb boat I get a odd downshift then immediately back to previous gear. Example, cruise set at 55mph, small grade change rolling hills. As the vehicle starts to lose speed it will accelerate as expected then it will downshift for maybe 1 second then right back to previous drive gear. I’ve tried different combinations of sport mode...etc, nothing seems to stop it from happening. I can not duplicate it manually with the cruise off but I can tell you when it will happen with the cruise engaged. We previously had a 2016 and pulled same boat and never had an issue. We expressed this to the dealer, not a solid solution was given except it was “gear hunting”... not sure I buy it. I have also logged the issue/complaint with Toyota Corp. Yes maybe minor issue today but what does the future bring, trans failure??? I’m convinced somebody at Toyota Corp. knows the fix. I’m looking for a suggestions, any thoughts.

2. Oct 29, 2020 at 5:22 PM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    Welcome do the joys of an overweight underpowered SUV with a 5 speed.

peter2772000 and Red_5 like this.
  3. Oct 29, 2020 at 5:23 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    I'm not sure what the question is here.

Towing --->Losing Speed ----> 4R downshifting to get back up to speed

Computer changes in 2020 possibly? You try changing cruise speeds?

4. Oct 29, 2020 at 6:17 PM
    GMak

GMak [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner TRD
    Issue would be incorrectly downshifts, bounces down a gear then immediately back up. It is not needed to maintain speed, driving same route manually it won’t down shift. It seems to do it for sure in the 50-60 mph range while cruise is engaged, haven’t had it out at the expressway to try higher speeds. I am thinking computer mapping as well, again our 2016 never did this.

5. Oct 29, 2020 at 6:23 PM
    GMak

GMak [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner TRD
    I know this feeling all too well, our other vehicle is 200hp JK Wrangler on 37’s:). If you are wondering the 4R is like a Cadillac or should I say Lexus in comparison!

6. Oct 31, 2020 at 12:55 AM
    Boman

Boman New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Grey 4Runner SR5 Premium
    I have a 2020 and I believe what its the ACC. ( adaptive cruise control ) Something similar happened to me. I just turn it off for a sec and then when the road is normal or traffic is less dense I will reactivate it. No big deal. I love the ACC.

7. Oct 31, 2020 at 5:51 AM
    Red_5

Red_5 New Member

Member:
    This. I know what the OP is describing. I've experienced it myself, usually on a steep hill. The answer is to just turn off cruise for a bit.

Or I guess you could continue to worry about it, but why? The 4L is a good engine, but these trucks are pigs with amateur cruise control programming. Easier to just drive around the problem.

8. Oct 31, 2020 at 7:27 AM
    BgBmBoo

BgBmBoo New Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Agree with the above, it’s the adaptive cruise causing the issue. Switch it to normal cruise control and the issue should go away.

newlife likes this.
  9. Nov 1, 2020 at 9:27 AM
    oktom

oktom New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR5 Premium
    Coming from new Fords for the last 25 or so years I think Toyota cruise control sucks.....along with their climate control and several other things.
    Not sure how long this 2020 4Runner will be in my garage. Oh yeah....Ford Bronco on the horizon.

10. Jun 4, 2021 at 6:30 AM
    DerekM

DerekM New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD Prem
    I have 2021 TRD and experience the same issue. I have figured it out. As I approach a hill, even the slightest incline, the sensor (even at the lowest sensitivity) sees the incline as an obstacle/vehicle for just an instance. I also notice it, but rarely, approaching some dark pavement changes, large patches, change from concrete to asphalt, etc. and even while passing cars that are in the right lane and not even in front of me. It's annoying. However, all works great as long as a vehicle is in front of me. No incline issues. Only see the problem when by myself and no vehicles in my lane. Toyota is definitely way behind literally everyone on electronics technology. Even my 2011 Dodge had a far superior audio for bluetooth, USB, and GUI for it all. I expected much better for 2021 Toyota.

11. Jun 4, 2021 at 6:42 AM
    newlife

newlife Not all who wander are ...... squirrel

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2021 venture 22 JTR
    All of them.
    It’s already been said but either use normal cruise or no cruise. Mine and my wife’s both do it. But we have figured it out somewhat. Wide open highway no issues. A vehicle in any lane within a few hundred feet it starts almost like it is pulsating the throttle. I didn’t feel comfortable with what it was doing so I don’t use acc anymore and just regular cruise. If you need help in regular cruise it is just hold the cruise button down a little longer and you’ll see a different icon pop up.

12. Jun 4, 2021 at 7:00 AM
    Moon Landing

Moon Landing AFFTC 1967/68 Eddies Air Patch

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    La Quinta, Ca. AKA "The Skillet"
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    DO NOT tow with cruise control activated 'unless' you truly understand the dynamics of towing. DO NOT tow in 5th gear, 'unless' you truly understand the dynamics of towing. or is that just me?

13. Jun 4, 2021 at 7:47 AM
    jetmechG550

jetmechG550 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2021 Off Road Premium
    Not just you, you said what I was thinking as I read through this

Moon Landing[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top