1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2019 Off Road questions tires and gearing?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by og556, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Aug 18, 2019 at 3:18 PM
    og556

og556 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I’m in the process of moving from a JKUR with 33” ridge grapplers to possibly a 2019 4Runner.

I have a couple of questions as I’m still researching.

1. This particular TRD OR has the Pro wheels from the factory. Is it possible to fit 255 80 r17 tires on this vehicle with no other mods and not rub? I want ground clearance to get through trails.

2. I’m not sure what the stock rear diff gearing is on this vehicle. I did not see any options for it or any additional tow package offering to increase gearing.

It’s gonna be tough to make the switch from the JK. I know the engine, trans, and electrical on the 4Runner will outlast the JK or JL many times over from what I have read. I’m hoping the 4Runner will hold up as well on trails with decent tires.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  2. Aug 18, 2019 at 3:52 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    It probably depends on what your alignment is at the moment.

With those wheels and tires everything might fit fine with no rubbing whatsoever.

-or-

You could possibly rub on the mudflap or body mount located on the inside rear of the front tire. If this happens, it's easier to have the truck aligned with the caster pushed forward to 4* rather than having your body mount chopped. However, pushing your caster forward could cause you to rub on the front fender liner and/or fender flare, in which case you would have to push the liner forward and slightly trim the fender flare. This is an extremely easy task and only takes 10 minutes to complete. Look up fender liner mod for our vehicles to see what's entailed.

But you won't know for sure until you try them on your truck first.

Not many people re-gear going up to 33's. Our trucks do pretty well with them.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  3. Aug 18, 2019 at 3:52 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Welcome.

4. Aug 18, 2019 at 3:54 PM
    tacotundra

tacotundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    That size tire on the stock pro wheel shouldn't rub but you wont know till you try every truck is different. 3.73 is the stock gear ratio you may consider 4.56 or 4.88 to get better performance. Gonna be doing 4.88's on my wife's in next couple of weeks.

jgcaps likes this.
  5. Aug 18, 2019 at 4:25 PM
    og556

og556 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Sounds good. My biggest hesitation at this point is off-road capability on trails and deep snow vs the Rubi I have now.

The Jeep has had too many damn problems with mechanical and electrical for it’s age. I need something that can deal with some off-road trips and a lot of on road travel all over the US.

6. Aug 18, 2019 at 9:02 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    Well given the stock 4Runner has ran the Rubicon Trail I don't think you will have an issue off road and these things rock in the snow.

nimby likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top