1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 4runner limited clunky shift low speed

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Kioti4R, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Sep 17, 2019 at 1:42 PM
    Kioti4R

Kioti4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    2014 Blizzard Pearl 4Runner Limited
    When Im driving at a low speed and for example approaching a speed bump, I slow down to nearly a stop and let the momentum of the truck get me over the speed bump, as I accelerate and the trans shifts to next gear, you can really feel it. Like it goes to the next gear too quickly. I dont know how to describe it but it doesn't feel as smooth as normal. It doesn't happen all the time, just under certain conditions as described. Its done this since the day I bought it new. Mine is only 2wd btw.

Anyway taking it in for service this week, it has under 29k miles on it. Should I have the trans fluid changed? Any other recommended services? Service manager suggested having throttle body cleaned? Due for an oil change but trying to decide what else I should have done since now just over 5 years old even tho low milage.

Thanks in advance.

2. Sep 19, 2019 at 5:18 AM
    4x Old Guy

4x Old Guy New Member

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver TRD Off-road Premium
    Big-O Bigfoot A/T tires
    Sounds like like something with the powertrain. However, with only 29,000 miles on it, wear and tear shouldn’t be the culprit. If you can reliably recreate the conditions to cause the hard shift, take it to the dealer and demonstrate it for them. I would think it would still be under warranty, especially if you’re the original owner. If, for some reason, it’s not under warranty, once they can experience it for themselves, they should be able to figure out exactly what the problem is, then you can decide how you want to proceed from there.

A couple of possibilities are an internal transmission issue (possibly adjustment), or broken motor/trans mount that allows the trans to lift under load the drop back down during the transition between gears (a perfect storm of engine torque, load, and gear ratio leverage).

3. Sep 19, 2019 at 6:38 AM
    LKN4Runner

LKN4Runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Lake Norman, NC
    2016 Magnetic Grey Metallic XP 4X4 with 20" Gunner rims and 275/55 R20 Nitto Grappler G2 Tires.
    Hello Jay,

My previous 4Runner was a 2014 Limited and I had the same "issue" with the driveshaft/transmission shifting as the vehicle slows to a near stop and then accelerating. I has discussions with the dealership and was informed that this was a behavior common with that year and model. Dealership stated that it was not a safety concern or a mechanical concern and that some improvements may be experienced with reprogramming. I ended up trading that vehicle in for the 2016 4Runner SR5 Premium with the XP Package (20" Gunner wheels, 275/55R20 Nitto Grappler G2 tires, black overlays on emblems, and running board). Been very happy since. :) Hope this helps.

2016 4Runner XP.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top