1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 SR5 v 2020 TRD Off-Road Premium

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by xmt037, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Jul 14, 2020 at 2:49 AM
    xmt037

xmt037 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    ARB Skid Plates, FrontRunner SlimLine2 rack, 31" KO2s
    I know these models are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum but it's come down to this for me. Prices are before fees/taxes. Use case is road tripping and sleeping in car during camping, and being able to reliably go moderately off-roading (river crossings but no crawling; maybe some beaches but no dunes, etc.). Long freeway trips, a few times a month, but not my daily driver.
    • 2008 4Runner SR5: $11K, 170k miles. Lets me run it into the ground until a more fuel-efficient 4Runner comes out (2022?) without taking too much of a financial risk. Capable, v6 engine, 4WD. All of the 2008 safety features... meaning the basics. Includes moonroof.
    • 2020 4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium. $39K (Texas) or $44K (California). Adaptive cruise control, lane monitoring, automatic braking. Crawl control, e-locking rear differential, and off-road surface settings. Premium sound, heated seats, fake leather, moonroof.
    I can afford the 2020, but it's still just Iot. I'm worried about the risk of rapid depreciations when a more fuel-efficient 4Runner is released, which I feel will be very much prioritized given recent trends and Toyota's own offerings (RAV-4, Highlander). I just have more to lose with the new model.
    I also just don't feel great about a $45k car in 2020 that has such abysmal mpg, whereas a 2008 model feels like it has more plausible deniability, harkening back to a simpler (though also fraught) time. With the 2008 I could add skid plates and better wheels too. Still bad mpg but less pressure to make it work.

On the other hand, since I'll be driving long distances for adaptive cruise control and safety could be life-saving. And since I'll be sleeping in it, it'd be nice to feel cozier knowing it wasn't shared by strangers and their pets. The 2008 model is safe but it's hard not prioritizing safety particularly when needing a hospital right now is a huge risk. (yes, I know I could stay home entirely...) On the other hand, there's not a ton of traffic these days so maybe adaptive cruise control won't be as valuable.

Why nothing in the middle? Because the above options represent the clearest distinct strategies, whereas anything in the middle feels more suboptimal. A 2016 for 33K with 65K miles doesn't feel so far from a 2020 with 0 miles, and I have to deal with someone else having used it. Whereas the 2008 model is so much older and cheaper, I have a nice financial upside.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

7385 likes this.
  2. Jul 14, 2020 at 7:54 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    2008 is smaller, and you don’t have to worry about the 5th gen depreciating fast. The 4.0’s in them are proven to be reliable and workhorses, that isn’t going to change for at least 2-3 years AFTER the new gen is released, which is speculated 2023. Even then, the new power train isn’t confirmed and if it’s anything like the Tacoma’s then 4Runners will hole their value even more.
    based on what you said you’ll be done, why not go for a 2020 SR5? Doesn’t sound like you’ll be even close to needing a locker or multi terrain select which I hear is pretty useless anyways. Unless you just want to have cool interior aesthetics then get the off-road. I’ve hit some moderate trails in my SR5 and don’t see myself ever needing a locker.

3. Jul 14, 2020 at 8:13 AM
    MattO2786

MattO2786 New Member

Member:
    Cleveland, OH
    Vehicle:
    Former 18 OR and 18 Limited Owner
    11k is a lot for any vehicle with 170k miles. T4R are known to last, but who knows how well it was taken care of. If you know a really good mechanic, have him check it out.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    Red_5 likes this.
  4. Jul 14, 2020 at 4:59 PM
    4RunnerMT

4RunnerMT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Addie
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2019 VB TRD Pro 4Runner
    Rhino Rack Pioneer platform, Alu-Cab Gen 3
    I have a 2019 TRD Pro and absolutely love it, but the one feature I wish I had was adaptive cruise. I've tried it in other cars and am a bit sad I don't have it. Also, as others have said above, T4R depreciate VERY slowly (at least where I live in the NW). If you can afford the 2020, I'd say it's a no-brainer and you'll thank yourself down the road (no pun intended).

Products Discussed in

To Top