1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 4Runner Only tweeters work

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Blinker fluid, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Aug 20, 2021 at 10:46 AM
    Blinker fluid

Blinker fluid [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota 4 Runner SR5 2wd
    New to the forum!

I just bought a 2008 2wd SR5 4Runner. 157k. Found out when I got home that only the tweeters work on the stereo. Now I've heard there's an amp on the JBL systems, but mine is the stripper model. Stock stereo. All the speakers seem to be there. Would there be a random stock amp someplace? Or a fuse? Or if one of the speakers are blown the rest go out?

Thanks in advance

2. Aug 23, 2021 at 5:48 AM
    iamincrediboy

iamincrediboy New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 V8 4Runner Limited - Silver
    Do your front door speaker grilles read 'JBL' or 'JBL Synthesis' on them? Is there a subwoofer grille in your passenger quarter panel (the plastic piece encompassing your wheel well inside the car)? If not, you have the stock stereo with no amp. Options:

-If you have no amp, youtube search how to remove the door trim if youve never done it before, very simple its only a few pull tabs, just remember to pull out from the bottom and then up by the time you get to the window, and that you roll you window up when doing this work. Once the door trim is off, youll be able to see the wiring. Toyota wired their speakers weird, with the tweeter and woofer in series, and the tweeter is first. Take a look at the wiring and see if you can spot whats wrong visually, but if not come back and let us know whats up.

-If you have an amp, then youll need to remove that rear quarter panel to get to it. This isnt hard per se, but involves removing a fair bit of your interior paneling. Again, youtube will be your friend if you've never removed these pieces. Once the pieces are removed, the amp is a small aluminum box directly above the top of the wheel well, next to the sub enclosure. On the left side of it (facing towards the vehicle front) will be the two main plugs, one larger and one smaller. The larger one is the important one with all of the wiring going back to the speakers. Pull that plug and see if theres any visual issue with it or the amp. If you happen to have a multimeter or tone meter itd be helpful to check resistance or proper tone.

Let us know what you find :cheers:

3. Aug 23, 2021 at 7:25 AM
    Toyofan87

Toyofan87 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Blue & Grey Hwy Gburg
    Vehicle:
    1987 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    Welcome

Blinker fluid[OP] likes this.
  4. Sep 3, 2021 at 12:26 PM
    Blinker fluid

Blinker fluid [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota 4 Runner SR5 2wd
    I have no amp, I do not have the JBL system. I've taken off all of the door panels and inspected the speaker wires. I've unplugged and replugged them in. I know that Toyota wires these in succession from each other. If one goes out they all go out. So everything looked good on the speaker wire inspection.

What do you suggest next? I've checked all the fuses also in the dash.

5. Nov 5, 2021 at 10:29 PM
    Boca

Boca New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 4Runner
    WOW,…..I too just bought a 2008 with 159K miles and damn if so don’t have the same problem. You not the tweeters work and the radio is also not working right. Did you ever figure out what’s going on?
    We are having a complete new aftermarket system being installed this week.

6. Nov 8, 2021 at 7:53 AM
    iamincrediboy

iamincrediboy New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    If the visual inspection turned up nothing, next is a tone or continuity test. If you have a tone generator, remove each set of front speakers and connect. Run whatever tone you want to check if its the speaker itself thats blown. If not, simply connecting a small battery can do a similar test, which will also tell you if the wiring is faulty inside, since you would have an open circuit.

Also, looking back to the first post, were the tweeters the ONLY speaker you heard anything from? or were the rears working? Also, have you opened up the dash to check your head unit too?

7. Nov 8, 2021 at 2:15 PM
    Boca

Boca New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 4Runner
    Not sure about the OP, but only my tweeters were working. Either way I’m good because we are ripping out the entire system on Thursday and having a double fin installed with Fosgate speakers, Subwoofer and an amp powering the woofer. I’ll be good. Lol

spencermarkd likes this.
  8. Nov 9, 2021 at 6:23 AM
    iamincrediboy

iamincrediboy New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    Replacing the whole system is also a very easy way to be rid of faulty OEM hardware lol

Products Discussed in

To Top