1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 4Runner should I buy?

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by sdrocker21, May 28, 2019.

1. May 28, 2019 at 10:52 PM
    sdrocker21

sdrocker21 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi All,

I came across a 2006 4runner with 133k miles on craigslist for $6500. The lowest the person selling it would take is $6100. It drove nice, I looked with a flashlight and saw some oil leaking on the passenger side towards the bottom and only a sight amount. It seems every single 2003 to 2006 4runner I've looked at has the same oil leak on that side. Is it likely a head gasket? The only other thing that worried me was the roof is fading and a small amount of fade on the hood. Are paint jobs really expensive if I did just the roof and the hood?

I liked the vehicle and it looked clean overall but am not sure if it's a good price if I have to paint the hood/roof? The guy showed me his cell phone log which was clogged with people texting/calling to see it but I was the first. Out of the other 4runners I've seen I like the color of this one the most and it has a hood scoop and way less miles than everything else.. most of the ones for $5000 to $5500 have 175 to 200k miles.

Other story to the vehicle, the person who had it was deported but the family friend is selling it for him and I got to see the title, jotted the license plate, and VIN etc... They had a bill of sale paper signed with blank section for buyer and same with the title. I can call DMV or police office to check it's not stolen I suppose. I also got to see the smog certification. The friend selling it was pretty honest and I have the address where he works, etc.

I'll have to jump on it quick if I get it. I didn't spot any mechanical issues when I looked with a flashlight and it drove fine and no check engine lights. Any advice? Everything else I've looked at in the past few months has sold rapidly around here and when I've hesitated it sold before I could get it. I told the guy I would go back in the morning with cash. Also there was a nice 4 runner with 4x4 with 152k miles for $5200 that someone posted around 3pm today and I texted and he had it still but it was white in color and I kind of didn't want a white one and in the time I went to look at this one it already sold.

00Q0Q_l4TtCLd3aO7_600x450.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  2. May 29, 2019 at 7:51 AM
    chassis

chassis New Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Sold: 2005 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD
    The title situation seems troublesome.

The roof paint seems to be an objection for you.

Is the engine a V6 or V8? V6s leak on that side from either cam cover or cylinder head gaskets. Need a closer inspection to see which one it is. Cam cover is not a big deal. Cylinder head gasket is $1.5k-$3k depending on the shop.

I would not buy a vehicle with potential title issues.

Benny123 and captsolo like this.
  3. May 29, 2019 at 7:58 AM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Bill of Sale pre-signed doesn't really do you much good. Don't know if it is indeed the owner that signed it to begin with.

Was the title signed as well?

captsolo likes this.
  4. May 29, 2019 at 8:25 AM
    sdrocker21

Member:
    Thanks, the title was actually signed along with a bill of sale. The roof paint is a little bit of an objection however for $6100 it seems like an ok deal? I don't know..... I probably will need to spend away more for something without any issues? My original target price was between $5500 and $6000 for a 4th gen.

It's a V6. I don't think it's the cylinder head gasket leaking oil... and I meant to say valve cover gasket in my original message.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  5. May 29, 2019 at 8:26 AM
    sdrocker21

Member:
    Thanks, the title was signed. I took a photo of it on my phone. It matches the vehicle VIN and license plate. Not sure if this seems troublesome or not... there are two people on the title, and the person who signed was one of the people on the title.

6. May 29, 2019 at 9:09 AM
    chassis

chassis New Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Sold: 2005 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD
    Will the other named person on the title physically be present to transfer title at time of sale? Seems to have some difficulties. I would walk.

7. May 29, 2019 at 9:13 AM
    sdrocker21

Member:
    The person present for selling it is a friend of the person that got deported. The two people on the title include the person that got deported and a female. The female went back down to Mexico with the guy that got deported but her signature is on the title.
    I think the title might be fine, I could even run a carfax... what im a little worried about is the faded roof and a little fading on the hood... that will likely be a $1000 to $1300 fix... not sure a car that old is worth $7200 to $7400 if I spend on a paintjob... it does have low miles though.....

8. May 29, 2019 at 9:36 AM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Taking a risk without the actual owner being there but up to you.

And why worry about paint on a 13 year old car? If it bothers you that much rattle can the thing.

9. May 29, 2019 at 9:39 AM
    sdrocker21

Member:

Thanks... mainly because I live 3 miles from the ocean and work basically right on the bay/ocean. My old 1966 Chevy truck had faded paint and started getting surface rust super fast in just 1 year.. i made space and keep it in my garage to buy myself some time.

I'm afraid by neglecting the paint fading I will get rust on the 4runner. A rattle paint job on the hood/roof might look bad if I did it since the rest of the car looks decent.... not sure if I'm being unrealistic with my spending budget... maybe I need to wait and get something in the $8k range... I want a 4runner but the newer gen are too expensive... I currently drive an 07' Prius but am sort of embarrassed by the look of the car... I was also thinking if I get something at $5k or less I wouldn't care about the paint/condition quite as much and would keep the prius and alternate as a daily driver so each car sees less wear...

the $6100 plus more for paint/etc would require me to get rid of the prius.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  10. Jun 3, 2019 at 11:56 AM
    captsolo

captsolo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    nassau bahamas
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5
    I got a two drop a week oil leak (or less) when I changed the oil myself to semisynthetic. Want to scream, because it never leaked even a drop for 13 years before I changed oil from straight dino.

Leak is so small I can't find it. Previous mechanic did not install a gasket on 14 mm oil pan nut, so I left it out too. Looks wet on "nut", but can't get it to drip (see a drip starting). Rest of underneath looks ok.

Going to continue with 5W-30 at next oil change (4000 miles). May jump to 10W-40. I'm in the Bahamas and it's never under 60 degrees F. Thinking Castrol GTX High Mileage next change.

Not really concerned about the tiny, occasional oil drips, but car is garaged and I hate the cardboard underneath. Wonder what will happen when I change the oil next months and put on the new $1 pan nut gaskets I bought.

I have 150,000 miles on my 2005 4 runner and she runs like a top - like new,

BTW rocker21, I wouldn't touch that 4 runner with title issues.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019

Products Discussed in

To Top