1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 Sport v8: Spare tire dilemma (vs larger 33" mud tires)

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Iron Chef, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Feb 28, 2021 at 4:50 PM
    Iron Chef

Iron Chef [OP] New Member

Member:
    So I finally bought what appears to be my dream 4runner (2005 v8), with a sweet yotamafia lift kit (4") and aftermarket rims + larger mud tires that was put on just recently by the previous owner:
    However, it still just has the OEM spare tire, which raises a few concerns. It'd be nice to have a matching 5th rim + tire but that would mean
    • Those cost $$ out of pocket.
    • I'd need a tire carrier (and those are $$$$).
    • Changing this on the road or trail in an emergency is going to suck - the rim+tire combo is 100lbs!
    • It'd take a hell of a freak incident to put a hole into those beefy mud tires. So the chances of it getting a flat is pretty tiny - do I want a full-sized spare just to deal with such a rare event?

I talked to a tech from a tire shop (America's Tire), and he says in a pinch I can just mount the OEM spare, just don't plan on continuing my off-roading trip if I was on one.
    • My initial reaction is if I can get away with using the OEM spare in a pinch, that would be great! Even if it means I'd need to cut an adventure short.
    • But would that cause any issues (stress/damage to components) if I'm forced to drive long distance on one mismatched OEM spare?
    • Any thoughts on this?
    Appreciate any insights!

2. Apr 5, 2021 at 6:32 PM
    L8Shift

L8Shift New Member

Member:
    I use a 255/75-17 as a spare for my 285/70-17s, in the original spare location under my 06 V8.
    The diameter is close, and I have about 1/2" to the pan hard bar.

Products Discussed in

To Top