1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 4Runner Knocking Noise

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Treefrog, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Aug 24, 2018 at 8:27 AM
    Treefrog

Treefrog [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota 4Runner Gold
    Hey all, I'm new to the thread thought I'd share an issue I'm having. I have a 2001 Toyota 4runner that is knocking. I've seen other threads but they never seem to find the main cause of it, I hate beating a dead horse with a stick. I'm hoping someone reads this that had the same issue I'm having and what they did to fix it. The knocking occurs at idle, irregardless of what gear I'm in, it doesn't knock on startup it only starts after the engines warmed up. It also doesn't continue as it accelerate so it's fine when you're driving but when it comes to idling or slow rush hour traffic you can hear it. It has 265k miles on it and I drive it 100 miles a day to work. So far in the last 10k miles I've replaced the water pump, timing belt, thermostat, oil cooler and pulleys. This cars been so good to me so I'd like to return the favor if it doesn't mean a full engine over haul. Any help would be appreciated. Here's a YouTube link for the sound. https://youtu.be/Udb7VZ1QYxU

2. Feb 1, 2023 at 11:55 AM
    KC4runners

KC4runners New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4runner SR5
    I’m having the same issue in my 2001, I see this is an older thread….. did you find a solution?

3. Feb 6, 2023 at 5:07 AM
    Ahdofu

Ahdofu New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    1997 4Runner SR5, V6, Auto, 4WD
    To me this sounds like a valve lash issue. They need to be tightened. The passenger side should be easier to check.

KC4runners likes this.
  4. Feb 6, 2023 at 7:00 AM
    KC4runners

KC4runners New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4runner SR5
    So I brought it back to my mechanic and he said the last time he had it, he had to take 2 hoses off that looked exactly the same but because everything is unlabeled/rusty he put them on wrong (honest mistake). He fixed the hoses and the knocking noise has stopped.

He said right now it’s trial and error. So if the light comes back, he’s going to try the valve in the engine bay

5. Feb 6, 2023 at 9:07 AM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    He might be nice and honest but he's sloppy. He needs to learn to label\tag connections. He needs to take pictures. He's the pro, he's got no excuse for bad reassembly.

6. Feb 6, 2023 at 4:34 PM
    KC4runners

KC4runners New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4runner SR5
    Yea I understand that but not everyone is perfect, it’s not a perfect world. As long at this gets resolved then i’m okay with it. I didn’t have to pay him for taking the time out to figure out what’s wrong with it.

That can be your opinion, it was a simple mistake.

Products Discussed in

To Top