1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1999 engine behavior diagnostic help wanted

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by standard, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Jun 9, 2022 at 1:27 PM
    standard

standard [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner SR5 4WD
    stock so far, what could he possibly need
    since starting on the "simple" misfire hunt I replaced the plugs, the injectors, the maf sensor and the two O2 sensors. and he passed a compression test. sensor 1 responded with some short term fuel trims, i think. maf sensor is giving correct temperatures, same as cooling water and trans oil temps, ambient when engine hasn't run.

still, when engine warms and the tach heads down toward idle, a miss develops and increases, engine moving in the mounts type of miss. getting Bank 1 lean codes.

BUT, I pulled off the intake piping and ran it without the intake air sensor the engine stopped it's missing around and sat idling like a normal engine. running rich because no input from sensor 1 or the intake air. can't run it that way. but when I get the lean codes fixed it runs too rich to run.

i tested for vacuum leaks with propane. never changed rpm, so if it's vacuum I missed it.

i don't have a number for the fuel pressure, but the pump works somewhat because it pressurizes the fuel tank. and spins the engine.

it seems to me the suspects could include a wiring problem or a connector issue, or another sensor that I am not aware of. yet.

it doesn't idle when it sees sensor 1 and the maf sensor, but it idles when it doesn't see those, but too rich.
    what other sensor figures into the mixture control? I'd sure like to find that out?

any ideas or better, anyone who has already solved this problem with a 1999 SR5 V6 4WD AUTO TRANS 4RUNNER?

THANKS

2. Jun 29, 2022 at 12:00 PM
    standard

standard [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner SR5 4WD
    stock so far, what could he possibly need
    I got runner running right recently, and finally got him to a minute clinic where the scanner man announced that he passed all tests and diagnostics AND that it's a strong engine. Then he agreed to put the rest of the stuff in for a few hours of labor time, water pump, timing belt, radiator, trans cooler, LBJs, stuff like that. meanwhile I am refreshing the gearbox fluids, will drop the trans pan and clean it out. flush out the brake lines. and start packing for the summertime special road trip.

muchas gracias for all the assistance and knowledge base help. another stricken 4Runner heading down the highway

SR5 Limited likes this.
  3. Jun 30, 2022 at 12:50 AM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    Congrats!!!:transformer:

4. Jun 30, 2022 at 9:22 PM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member: