1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1998 4runner right turn signal problems

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by MySisters4runner, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Jul 13, 2022 at 4:33 PM
    MySisters4runner

MySisters4runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    My sister has a 1998 4runner. When the headlights are on and the right turn signal is on, the turn signal flashes rapidly along with the reverse position indicator on instrument panel when the brakes are applied. Outside the car, the right taillight flashes along with the brake light, when turn signal is turned on. When the headlights are off, everything is fine. The ABS light is also on. The car was rear ended on the right rear and quarter panel, destroying the taillight lense. I replaced the taillight assembly, and everything worked fine. That was 1 month ago. Wiring to the taillight seems fine. Any suggestions?

2. Jul 13, 2022 at 5:23 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    Pics of sister?

3. Jul 13, 2022 at 5:37 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    Jk trailer hitch short?

4. Jul 13, 2022 at 5:38 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    My abs light has been on for 15 years.

5. Jul 13, 2022 at 8:23 PM
    MySisters4runner

MySisters4runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hahaha. You're a funny fkr. She's beautiful! No shorts in trailer lights.

mousemeat likes this.
  6. Jul 14, 2022 at 6:40 AM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    I know the multifunction signal stalk on mine went bad and I would get a super fast flashing of the turn signal. I just bought a new turn signal stalk from an online Toyota dealer (Amazon's were defective counterfeits) and it went away. I never actually got out and observed what it really looked like.

7. Jul 15, 2022 at 5:58 PM
    SnowBunny56

SnowBunny56 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    1999 3rd Gen
    Toyo tires with Fuel wheels, Carhart seat covers, getting started with some suspension mods
    Check your grounds, if it's been in an accident check the wiring carefully in that area, I've seen dual filament bulbs damaged, one filament breaks loose on one end and it touches the other, causes all kinds of goofy things to happen

PhantomTweak likes this.
  8. Jul 16, 2022 at 12:35 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    A lot of the time, the problem with the "Stalk" is that the contacts develop a coating of corrosion, and/or contact residue, that blocks, or partly blocks, current through them. Makes the turn signals not work, or not work correctly. The rapid flashing is an indication of one circuit, like the right turn signal, just for example, having a bad bulb. I think, if it's a design feature Toyota engineered in, they had a good idea. If it's just a serendipity, well, Toyota folks got lucky :)
    Make sure, if you want to try and repair it yourself, pull the stalk assembly out of the column, take a small dental pick, and break any corrosion build up off the contacts, then take a very fine grit sandpaper, or ruby cloth, something like that, and polish all the contacts. They're all out in the open, easy to get to, easy to work on. You don't even need to unplug the assembly from the whole system.

Another problem the stalk can develop is that the thin metal bars the contacts are on bend over time, until they no longer make correctly. This is an easy repair. Just watch as you move the stalk, like say to the left turn direction. You can easily see when a pair of contacts that SHOULD make, don't. Just bend the thin metal bar slightly, until the contacts make correctly.

Does this help at all? I just thought you might save a few bucks buying a whole new stalk assembly, when you can just pull the one you have, clean it up, bend a few thin metal bars, and put it back in, good as new.

Good luck,
    Pat☺

Products Discussed in

To Top