1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1996 4Runner has't been run in 5 years. What should we check out?

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by OniGokuMonji, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Jul 18, 2019 at 10:40 AM
    OniGokuMonji

OniGokuMonji [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota 4Runner Manual 3RZ-FE
    I'll start off by saying my name is Ryan. My father had this 1996 Toyota 4Runner (Manual Transmission) since I was born. He bought it in California and around 2000 we drove it all the way to Virginia Beach, VA. He eventually gave it to my mom and she isn't really good with car maintenance we had the engine rebuilt and something about the head gasket.

The last time we ran the car was 2014, it's been sitting in the garage ever since because I don't want to get rid of it. It's now July 18,2019 and my brother (Who used to work for priority Honda) said something about block or cylinder resurfacing and acid dip. I was hoping I can find answers here as for what other things I should lookout for before I invest and go through the process such as flushing and replacing fluids, fuse, coolant, transmission fluid and parts, etc. All answers and support is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

2. Jul 23, 2019 at 12:47 PM
    jross20

jross20 New Member

Member:
    Acid what?

I would just find a mechanic you trust and have all the fluids exchanged/flushed. If she's been sitting for years I would put some fresh gas in and change the oil before cranking.

Gear oil
    Coolant ( if dirty or cheap enough that you don't care)
    Brake fluid
    Power steering fluid (most likely Dex 2/3 but check your book)

3. Jul 23, 2019 at 3:34 PM
    Benny123

Benny123 Toyota enthusiast

Member:
    Southeast Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Nautical Blue SR5 Premium
    LEDs all around, otherwise bone stock.
    Interesting. I know very old vehicles can run again after decades of sitting. (Ever watched turnin rust?)

I'm not sure how a modern vehicle sitting 5 years would do, with more modern sensors, etc. Will take some careful work. At least it has been garaged.

I'm sure someone here can help. Got any pics?

Products Discussed in

To Top