1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Gen Toyota 4quoia with a (2uz-fe) v8 (start up post 230)

Discussion in '1st Gen Builds (1984-1989)' started by 36tacundra, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Nov 27, 2019 at 6:21 PM
    36tacundra

36tacundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    I worked on some of the sound deadener today. My main focus is just the area that the vinyl flooring covers. My heat gun made a sparky sound and then died. It smelled like melted plastic. So I stole the space heater from the house. I closed myself in the 4quoia and put the heat on. It got hot. I had to take a layer off. Anyway it seem to get the job done.

The automatic floor shift lever I am using is from a 97 toyota 4runner. I have cut out the floor where the lever mounts. I seperated the two layers with the pinch weld drill bit, cleaned and painted the bottom.

It's a lot of photo's.

IMG_0983.jpg IMG_0982.jpg IMG_0980.jpg IMG_0981.jpg IMG_0984.jpg IMG_0985.jpg IMG_0987.jpg IMG_0989.jpg IMG_0991.jpg IMG_0992.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    BestGen and Thatbassguy like this.
  2. Nov 28, 2019 at 5:48 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    Most of the work I do is at 3am in bed staring at the back of my eyelids. Next week I plan on getting the seats broke down. I am getting new covers made.

3. Dec 4, 2019 at 7:54 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    I have broken down all the seats. I pulled all the covers from the foam and frames. I put all the covers in the drivers seat back. I got a box from the garage. It was from a fan shroud for the 05 Tacoma. I folded up the new material to the size of the box. Put it all in the box. I shipped it all to AK. I have a brother there who is planning on making me new covers. He is really good. He has been doing it all of his life. I may loose my mind waiting for to see the result.

IMG_1001.jpg IMG_1002.jpg IMG_1004.jpg IMG_1007.jpg

4. Dec 6, 2019 at 10:04 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    I received the electric fan yesterday. It is a spal 16 inch low profile. Man it is slim. It looks like I will be able to move the body forward on the frame. I still plan on running one or two pusher fans also. Being able to move the body forward, I will also be able to lower the body on to the frame at least a half inch. I am going to go see right now. Once I have the body set, I can work on the steering.

5. Dec 7, 2019 at 8:43 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    Here is a photo of the fan and how much room it has. Not much room, but I was able to move the body back to were I first had it. I also lowered the body about a half inch. When the hood is closed there is about a 1/4 inch of space from the engine cover and the hood. I think this is a sweet spot. At the rear wheel well, I have a 1 inch block spacing the frame from the rubber bumper stop on the body. So now I will be able to weld the body mounts in place. Then I will be able to work on the firewall steering shaft connection.

IMG_1017.jpg IMG_1018.jpg
    I do plan on installing 2 10 inch pusher fans also. I will not be installing any fan shroud at all as to keep free air flow flowing. My experience with this engine with a 2 core radiator is that it will not over heat as long as the truck is moving even without an electric fan running.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  6. Dec 14, 2019 at 8:49 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    So I have been working on installing the closed cell foam. It is replacing the jute pad under the vinyl. The padding did allow for a better fitment of the vinyl. I also have been working on installing a thinner foam in the cargo area. That was a pain in the a... because of the stippling or ruffles in the bed area. This part is g o i n g s o s l o w! I will add a photo when I have the floor area done before the vinyl is set back in.

7. Dec 24, 2019 at 7:23 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    I have only been getting a few hours hear and there to work on it lately. I did get the cargo area covered with the 157 mill closed cell foam. I reinstalled the rear roll bar and cut out the wheel well vinyl. The next things I need to do are pull the front vinyl and install a few pieces of the thin vinyl. I also need to work on the front seats. The 97 taco 60/40 split bench has the seat belts in the seats. The rear inside seat mounting bracket uses a side mount witch I may be able to use in place of the seat belt on the 89. I need to dry fit the seats and work out the location of the mounting. I am going to use stock mount locations. So modifying the seat track may be necessary.

I have also been preparing to make cuts to the front bumper cross-member. I would like to get a different one. This one has bent metal, 2 busted bolts, and a bumper nut broke off.

Thatbassguy and SCMountaineer like this.
  8. Jan 20, 2020 at 10:44 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    The new year is here and it time to get back to work. I haven't done much since Christmas. I have taken out the lift. I had a bastard leaf spring pack that I built from a 06 tundra and 99 tacoma 2x4. I built a stock 99 spring set by using the bottom 2 leafs from a 97 taco 4x4 with the top leaf from the 99 2x4.

I also installed stock 97 4runner front struts. I did not want to change out the top plate on the sequoia strut spring. I plan on using it later when finished.
    IMG_1068.jpg

So the main idea for taking out the lift of the 97 taco frame is to let the frame sit in a relaxed state. I am still concerned with body placement. With the lift taken out, and smaller tire's, I am hoping to get a better view of where the body is on the frame. I can always go lifted after it is set. I do not want to have 35 inch tire's. At least not 12.5 wide.

The funny thing is, even without the lift, with 285 75 16 smaller tire's the 4runner still looks lifted. i do like the stock silver steel wheels. 3 of the 4 tire's are good.
    IMG_1072.jpg

I also found a silver hood and cowl. The hood is after market, but looks better than the rotten blue one I had.

9. Jan 21, 2020 at 4:49 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    How would you like tilt and telescoping steering column? Yesterday I worked on it. I started by installing the dash support bar into the truck. I measured the original column from the steering wheel to the center of the bolt hole mounting location. I then took a 2006 t4r steering column and measured the same way. I made marks on the removed dash support bar and tack welded the column to it. I then made mounts welding nuts to them so the column will be easy to remove. Yesterday I had it mocked up, so today I set in the dash plastics to see how things were going to work

I AM ABOUT TO LOSE MY MIND!

It looks pretty good. I have the sequoia gauge cluster shoe-horned in. All in all it looks awesome.

IMG_1075.jpg

column in and down
    IMG_1089.jpg

column in and up
    IMG_1090.jpg

column pulled out and down
    IMG_1091.jpg

column pulled out and up
    IMG_1092.jpg

gauges through the steering wheel. notice the fog light switch and rear wiper controls.
    IMG_1095.jpg

top not so much gap
    IMG_1098.jpg

bottom not so much gap
    IMG_1099.jpg

under dash column connect
    IMG_1100.jpg

engine bay column connect
    IMG_1101.jpg

10. Feb 4, 2020 at 10:23 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    I broke the ignition off the steering column. So I went and picked up another. It does not have the telescope feature, maybe later it will come. I messed around with cutting a hole out for the ignition. I had picked up extra plastic so I can just cut and destroy to see what can or may work. I have also mounted the drivers seat using the stock seat mounting locations. I need to get some extra junk seats to mount the passenger. I wanted to use the stock mounting location so if I change my mind later and want buckets back in it, it will be easy to switch back. Well those are the updates.
    The drivers seat seams to move further forward and farther back. A longer throw. It is a pinch higher than the original.
    IMG_1110.jpg

below all the way back.
    IMG_1115.jpg

below all the way forward
    IMG_1118.jpg

What do ya all think?

11. Feb 7, 2020 at 11:10 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    Just got the automatic floor shift plastic console. I got one with the cup holder. My wife thinks its for her, since it is on the passenger side, LOL! It is a good thing that she share's!
    IMG_1119.jpg IMG_1120.jpg

12. Feb 7, 2020 at 6:18 PM
    POOLGUY

POOLGUY New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    '08 4RUNNER
    You have done a lot of work. It's seems to be coming together. Keep up the good work.

36tacundra[OP] and Thatbassguy like this.
  13. Feb 7, 2020 at 6:36 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    It's looking good! I can't wait to see how this comes together!

36tacundra[OP] likes this.
  14. Feb 7, 2020 at 11:39 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Awesome thread, OP!!! Keep it comin!

Lots of Q&A on the forums, but this is the content that keeps us coming back for more!

Thatbassguy likes this.
  15. Feb 8, 2020 at 8:46 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    Thank you! The first v8 swap I did is just a story now. It was so awesome to drive. The throttle response was instant. The truck would jump when the peddle hit the floor just a little. I had became acclimated to driving the v8, but after I had traded it off, I was called on to replace the alternator. I had the opportunity to drive it again and I was blown away by the performance. That was so awesome the only truck I could see that was worth the swap, in my opinion, was the first gen 4runner. I would have liked to get my hands on another vvti 4.7, but I could not pass on the deal at hand. I plan on keeping this one. We will see for sure how long that last, LOL!

I am waiting for the local wreaking yard to open, so I can go get another pair of bucket seats from a 90-95 t4r, that way I can cut the feet off the seat mounts. I need the out side front claw's from both seats to attempt to mount the passenger 97 tacoma seat. My main concern with doing this has to do with the seat track length related to rear seat access. I do not want a bar in the way of getting in the rear. If this ends up being the case, I will then brake down the first gen seat and see if the 97 taco foam and covers will work on the first gen frame. Now if that does not work, I will then send the first gen covers to the upholstery guy to be matched with the new covers. The seats are relatively similar and will still look good with new upholstery.

POOLGUY and Wvmoonshiner like this.
  16. Feb 9, 2020 at 6:52 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    I mounted the 97 taco passenger seat today. I started with the stock first gen 4runner seat mounted in. I set the previously mounted 97 taco drivers seat to match the stock passenger seat for a baseline. I then pulled the passenger seat and mounted the new brackets. I wanted to have the new seat be able to adjust as far back as the drivers seat, but that would have had the seat track in the way of rear access. I started with the front inside mount. Then the other front mount. The rear mounts needed a little spacing, but I added that to the bottom of the brackets. I am pretty happy with the results. The seat does come into contact with the cup holder, so I may change that latter. I do think it has about the same access as the original. The new seats do sit a bit higher in the rear and I am okay with that. Especially since the drivers seat moves back. I may need to measure the original drivers seat against the new one for a better comparison. Here it is.

IMG_1132.jpg IMG_1133.jpg IMG_1135.jpg IMG_1134.jpg

BestGen and POOLGUY like this.
  17. Feb 10, 2020 at 6:00 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    This is so awesome. I'd watch the crap out of a Motortrend-style show of doing this.

Toffees and 36tacundra[OP] like this.
  18. Feb 10, 2020 at 6:20 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    I am thinking of doing a video, but I do not like to hear myself talk, LOL! That doesn't stop myself from talking to my self though, LOL!

19. Feb 23, 2020 at 6:14 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    So the 01 sequoia has a 4x4 button in the dash. Since I am using the systems from it, I had to have a way to activate the 4x4 mode. I got a 4x4 transfer case from a 1998 toyota 4runner. It has the button on the side. I had to change the mounting plate to the original from the sequoia, but it was all interchangeable. Now I will be able to wire the four wheel drive computer to a stock switch. Also the vinyl boot is black and matches the transmission floor shift. I also went and picked up a cross-member and stock leaf spring saddles. I cut it all out of the frame I got the rear locker from. I have to remove the frame sections from the brackets. I think I will be able to have better success with stock. Here is the photo of the new shifter.

IMG_1177.jpg

BestGen, Dark Knight and POOLGUY like this.
  20. Feb 23, 2020 at 6:34 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    Hoe Lee Chit!!! That thing’s gonna have balls!!!

21. Feb 29, 2020 at 8:07 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    Well to make a short story long, when I got the tacoma frame, it had the leaf springs cut out of it. The outside edge was removed because the bolt had rusted solid to the leaf spring bushing. So what I had to go from was the inside bolt hole for mocking up a new perch. I ordered front leaf spring saddles and they were larger. So I had them tacked in place, but is was not right. The frames original outside of the saddles were offset to the outside and because that part had been cut off. I went off of the inside track. I had the new saddles centered on the frame. This was 1/2 inch narrow than it should be on each side. It has been bothering me for some time. I could see that the center pins on the rear end were forcing the leaf springs apart. It was all bound up.
    I went and cut out the saddles from the frame I got the rear locking diff from. I butchered it up good to. The real pain in the a@$ was cutting and grinding the old frame from the stock saddles. Here they are a kind of before and after.
    IMG_1180.jpg IMG_1178.jpg IMG_1181.jpg
    My goal was to get the leaf springs in the designed location. Even though the wheel base is now shorter than the tacoma was, i thought this was the best way to get it correct. I did put them in today. I only tacked one side each. They do look stock and most may never know they have been moved. I will get a photo when I have them all welded up tomorrow depending on the weather.

POOLGUY likes this.
  22. Mar 1, 2020 at 5:30 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    Well the front leaf spring saddles are now welded in. I will not be bragging of my welds though. Some go easy some go phffffffffffffffff, lol. Some how I have inherited the first gen tacoma bro-lean. Its sits about a half inch lower on the drivers side ?????. Oh well time to move on. here is the right side.
    IMG_1186.jpg IMG_1188.jpg IMG_1193.jpg IMG_1194.jpg IMG_1197.jpg
    Now the body needs to find its home on the frame.

BestGen and Dark Knight like this.
  23. Mar 4, 2020 at 6:32 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    I am a sick man. Today it looks like I may bring home another first gen. Am I bringing it home to measure? Am I bringing it home to fix? Am I bringing it home because it is a good deal? Am I bringing it home because of the condition? Or am I bringing it home for great parts? YESSSSS! I need to go to an AA meeting(Automobile Anonymous).

BestGen and Thatbassguy like this.
  24. Mar 4, 2020 at 6:35 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    , but they wont be hanging from the tail end.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  25. Mar 4, 2020 at 8:47 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    Look what I brought home today. I need serious help like AA or something, (Automobile Anonymous).
    IMG_1198.jpg IMG_1199.jpg IMG_1200.jpg IMG_1203.jpg
    22re, manual, 4x4, None of the plastic for the top is missing. It doesn't look like it has ever been off. The guy I got it from, put an engine in it, but did not finish. I got to tidy it up. The key works all locks and the back window roles up and down w key.

Toffees, BestGen, Thatbassguy and 3 others like this.
  26. Mar 9, 2020 at 7:37 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    I have been moving things around. I pulled out the 4quoia to look at how it sits on level ground.
    IMG_1269.jpg IMG_1270.jpg IMG_1272.jpg IMG_1273.jpg IMG_1271.jpg IMG_1274.jpg
    I think the body is near were I want it. The drivers side still sits about a 1/2 inch lower than the passenger side.

BestGen, POOLGUY and Thatbassguy like this.
  27. Mar 10, 2020 at 7:16 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    I had been looking at pusher fans to use. I ordered a spal 11 inch. It is only 2 inches thick. I wasn't sure if it would fit so I only order one. The good news is it fits awesome and I can use 2. the bad news is that I will not be able to use the stock A/C condenser. I do not know if I can use another condenser and have it placed in another location. I will definitely be looking into options.
    Here it is on the right and left.
    IMG_1275.jpg IMG_1277.jpg
    The fans do not effect the grill. They just take up all the space the A/C condenser.

POOLGUY likes this.
  28. Mar 16, 2020 at 3:47 PM
    Marlin Crawler T-Revv

Marlin Crawler T-Revv Lead Sales Marlin Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner Crawler
    SAS, 5.29 gears, Tacoma Elockers front and rear, Marlin Crawler Dual Ultimate transfer cases, All- Pro leaf springs, 37" tires, chromoly axle shafts, Marlin Crawler R150F Transmission, Marlin Crawler front and rear bumpers, Marlin Crawler Sliders, Marlin Crawler Axle armor.
    this build looks excellent. looking forward to see how it comes out. Keep up the good work.

29. Apr 3, 2020 at 10:34 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    A friend of mine has asked me for help changing out wiring from one truck to another 4runner. He has a 84 t4r that had a carburetor and he was installing a 22re with fuel injection. for the work, I got to steal parts he was not going to use. I spent 3 days changing out the wiring and grabbing parts. My 4quoia has a complete front clip off of the donor truck now.

IMG_1322.jpg

I have been working on the blue bomber. I finished up the engine install and it runs okay. The guy I got it from chose not to install a new clutch and now I will pay because it needed a throughout bearing. I sounds dry all the time. I changed out the rear end from the brown donor truck and have been trying to figure out the brakes. I think I got them last night. I put the v6 booster and master cylinder on it.

Yesterday I leveled out the frame of the 4quoia and the first gen blue bomber.

IMG_1329.jpg

I took a bearing race and tied a string to it. I held it over the hub of the wheel and pinned it to the body. I measured to the door jamb. The blue bomber was about 63 3/4inches front wheel to door jamb and about 40inches door jamb to the rear wheels. I made marks where my wheels were and a line with an arrow to show where the first gen blue bomber wheels sit. I am off about the same front and rear.

IMG_1321.jpg
    IMG_1320.jpg
    by my marks, the front wheels need to be moved to the front, and the rear wheels to the rear. I have measured the wheel base at 103inches only to find that the bone stock first gen blue bomber measures out to 103.5 inches, f@#$!!!! I guess i should have left the rear springs in the first position I had them.

My main concern is the front wheels and engine placement. The engine current position is set to have the radiator and fan fit. I do not want to move it forward even it it is a half inch. If at all I would like to move the engine into the fire wall. I think I will just leave it where it sits. If I end up wanting to move the front wheels forward, I will have to do it with a strait axle conversion.

I have been working on the fire wall. It is my regret to inform my 4quoia will not be an A/C truck. To move forward, I cut the idea for electric fans and engine computer placement.

IMG_1326.jpg IMG_1328.jpg

I put the engine wire harness in through the a/c holes in the fire wall minamizing extra holes.
    I also worked on the steering shaft hole. I used two plates. The first one is the original sequoia plate. I put it on the outside of the fire wall. from the inside I hammered out the fire wall to match the outside plate as much as possible.

IMG_1324.jpg

The second is from the 96 t4r and is place inside the firewall. I had to make up some space. I cut out the outside edge so it can fit into the shaft. I will install a seal between each plate and firewall and trim up the outside plate.

IMG_1323.jpg

It needs some fine tuning but I am getting close.
    the computer placement is next. I will post an update and photo when it is set.

POOLGUY, Thatbassguy and BestGen like this.
  30. Apr 13, 2020 at 11:15 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    I got 4 of 10 frame to body mounts welded in. At the rear, two 96 t4r stock mounts right above the rear leaf spring shackle. In the middle, below the door handles, two 98 tacoma mounts raised 3/4 inch on the frame.

IMG_1345.jpg

Thatbassguy and BestGen like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top