1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 4Runner in 2021, good idea or too old ?

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by bigdawg, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Nov 18, 2021 at 8:10 PM
    bigdawg

bigdawg [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello guys.
    I really love the 4th gen 4runners and I finally got the cash to look into few. I’ve found two with 200k kilometres (125k Miles approx) .Both being sold for $14k cad. One of them is a privately owned who states he’s always taken care and stuff. The other is from a local used car dealer and that unit looks really nice with all the detailing done. Yes I will have them checked out thoroughly by a good mechanic. Now my main concern here is, I am a student and I want to have a reliable car that I can not have to worry about for a long time . I can afford to get a newer car like a 2016 civic, with the idea of having something very new and maybe should have ‘more life left’ in it.
    However, it’s the older 4Runners my heart truly wants. My question to you experienced peeps is that do you think it’s too old or a good idea to get a 15 year old car like a 05-07 4runner in 2021 ? Even though I can afford a different car but newer for the same price. I don’t need Tech and all those fancy stuff, for me reliability, safety and low maintenance costs are the main concern. Please give me your honest opinion on this issue.

2. Nov 18, 2021 at 8:34 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Welcome to the forum bigdawg, i think you are on the right path considering your want’s and needs. A well taken care of Runner will serve you well. Just my opinion though.

3. Nov 18, 2021 at 9:04 PM
    bigdawg

bigdawg [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks budd. I appreciate your feedback!

4. Nov 18, 2021 at 9:08 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    My friend was givin one of these for free. It had the engine replaced, but the 4WD would not engage.

5. Dec 2, 2021 at 3:35 PM
    06_dark_knight

06_dark_knight New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Vehicle:
    06 sr5 in black
    Lights all around. IVD front standard travel
    I would say just look at the frame for heavy rust issues and as long as it looks good and everything else runs and feels good you should be just fine!

are the 4Runners you’re looking at 4x4? V6 or V8?

I have an 06 4runner with 188k miles and I still have the utmost confidence in it to be my daily

bigdawg[OP] likes this.
  6. Dec 2, 2021 at 3:43 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Honestly I would probably just get the Civic now while you're in school. It'll be better on gas, and you literally have to do nothing to it other than oil changes. Yes the 4R is reliable, but a 2005 is still over 15 years old. No matter how well it was taken care of, you're going to have to do maintenance on it.

You may need to spend some money on some preventative maintenance strictly due to age. Rubber things, like hoses and belts, dry out with age, and at that age/mileage you're probably going to need a full suspension refresh at some point in the near future.

Plus, even if you don't need to do a ton of maintenance, temptation will be strong to mod it, LOL.

And if you're in Canada, I'd definitely worry about issues with the frame.

Getting the Civic or something just as an A to B car will just be cheaper and more practical in the long run.

7. Dec 2, 2021 at 3:52 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    My friend just traded his Tacoma for an 05 Tundra. Not sure if it’s the same metal but he seprated the frame six inches already and is very unpleased.

8. Dec 2, 2021 at 9:42 PM
    runnerjimmy

runnerjimmy Wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Scottsdale Az. Castle Rock Co.
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP Barcelona red
    Fox 2.5 DSC. 2 1/2” front, 2”rear. Falken Wildpeak 255/80/17
    I am in this thinking also. Get yourself through school, double your gas mileage with the civic, also knowing that the newer car may be less likely to be needing replacement parts. Not sure what the used car market is like in Canada, but really inflated here in the states. I think at this point more dollar bills will be falling out of your pocket on the 4Runner. School, career path, then special interest vehicle. Just my 2 cents

9. Dec 6, 2021 at 10:12 AM
    bigdawg

bigdawg [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yes, You do have a very solid point. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks man!

10. Dec 6, 2021 at 10:13 AM
    bigdawg

bigdawg [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hmm. That is solid advice. Thank you brother. I appreciate the feedback. I guess putting the desire of a 4runner on hold is the wisest call for me. Thanks!

Trail Runnah[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Dec 6, 2021 at 11:10 AM
    slixx1320

slixx1320 New Member

Member:
    As they've mentioned, get the civic, drive it till the wheels fall off. By the time you finish school and land yourself a career the crazy market should level off, then find yourself a nice 4th gen at the 3-5k pricing again.

Trail Runnah likes this.
  12. Dec 10, 2021 at 7:34 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    Definitely get frame checked out for rust in Canada.

As far as Civic great car for sure. Only down side I would think not based on fact but thought is that 4R would be better in God forbid an accident.

I have two friends that accidents with Civics that are less than 5 yo and they were fine but both cars totaled. The type of accident is subjective for sure but I would would think more metal and steel frame would be better from a safety perspective.

Products Discussed in

To Top