1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 4Runner Headlights Pulsating And Console Acting Strange

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by bmcdonald74, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Dec 22, 2021 at 12:02 PM
    bmcdonald74

bmcdonald74 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner
    Hey everyone, I have a 2005 4Runner SR5 V8 and it's started to have some strange electrical issues with the headlights and console. While driving with the head lights on they will occasionally pulsate, and the console will light up all the instrument lights and the speedometer will go to 0. Sometimes the radio turns off and then back on. But It never loses engine power.

I believe it might be a bad ground but I'm not sure where all to look to check them. I've checked the battery connection and it seems solid. Is there a list somewhere I can refer to? Or is there something else I should be checking?

2. Dec 22, 2021 at 3:38 PM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    Sounds either like a grounding issue or a short. Hopefully just a grounding issue. Time to take a strong flashlight to the engine bay and under the dash and see if you can find it. Good luck.

3. Dec 26, 2021 at 10:10 AM
    iamincrediboy

iamincrediboy New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 V8 4Runner Limited - Silver
    Have you changed anything in your electrical system recently? Radio, LEDs, headlights, added an amp, swapped fuses... anything? If so go back and check that. If not then it could be a bad ground or maybe something shorted? Like above mentions grab a flashlight and scour your electrical connections to start with, maybe theres a short or a connector thats finally failed after all this time. If you cant see anything visually, it'll be time to break out the multimeter

Products Discussed in

To Top